First build...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanners

Solid State Member
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to do my first build. I'm looking to put together a rig that can handle a good amount of gaming (not professionally by any means), looks decent, and will last for a while. I've been around a few builds before and gotten my hands dirty so I'm not completely helpless inside a case but I'm looking for suggestions to get myself started. Maybe some good parts/brands to look into? Spec levels I might need? etc.

You guys all seem pretty up on this stuff so I would appreciate your input.

Thanks,
Nanners

First off, what is your budget?

Quads are moving into the mainstream, but dual cores are still viable. Intel has the definite speed advantage in CPUs, so that would be the direction to go. I am not up to snuff on Intel parts, though, so I will let others direct you for those.

The biggest part of making a gaming system last is in the graphics card. The 8800 GT/GTS/GTX is a monster of a card, with the 3870 close behind. The 3870 X2 is showing good performance as well. of course these are top-end cards, but they will last for a while.

Another big decision is the power supply. The best advice is not scrimp on the PSU. If the PSU craps out on you, it usually takes other components with it. There is a PSU guide posted in the Tutorials sticky... be sure to check it out.

The other decisions, like storage and RAM, are pretty straight forward. Deciding on XP or Vista is pretty much personal preference.

heres a great build for 1k i know you didn't list a budget, but this is a common budget

q6600
8800gt
Abit IP35
Crucial Ballistix 2gb Kit
Vista Home Premium
Corsair 520hx
Tuniq Tower 120
Add a case, HD and Optical drives

My budget will probably be about 1500 with another 400-500 for a nice new monitor. (Signing bonus for my summer internship!!!)

ok change a couple things in my list then:

get one 8800gts g92, Asus p5e or Asus Maxmius Formula, maybe get the OCZ Reaper 4gb Kit

q6600
Tuniq Tower 120
Full Tower Case
2 x 3870
4gb RAM
Vista 64-bit
Maximus Formula x38
520hx

only thing is your going to have to lower your monitor budget to perhaps a 23'' instead of 24''

Oh, another question.

What will my situation be with thermal paste? Will I need to buy a tube or will I get some with the Tuniq sync?

Thanks

u didn't get the g92 GTS... its 512mb and don't tell me that the 640mb beats the 512mb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom