Why I might consider a 9800GX2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doin basically the same because frankly this ultra doesnt cut it. I see slowdown in supcom at only 1280x1024 XD NWN2 as well, and a bit in C&C3.
considering ill have a 24" by the 2nd week of jan I can't see any reason to keep the ultra. and SLI'ing with another one for higher res would cost more than the GX2 >.> thats not including another new mobo haha.

I like the plan merk, give 'er.

My fx5200 is still badass, gets me 60 fps on CS:S...

But gotta love my 2 new 8800gt's now <3

Yes, i wont be making the switch over to the 9 series... i consider myself stuck with what i have for a long while

lol I had an FX5200, then a 6200 now an 8800GT

9500pro agp (died) > 1650pro > gts 320 > gt512(sli) >gts512(sli)
Don't start down the road, its hard to stop.

i thought the GX2 was gonna replace the ultra as Nvidias new enthusiast card and the 9800GTX was gonna replace the 8800GTX and GTS as the high end card.

i thought the GX2 was gonna replace the ultra as Nvidias new enthusiast card and the 9800GTX was gonna replace the 8800GTX and GTS as the high end card.

well the 9800gx3 is gonna be dual gpu, and its supose to be 30% faster than the ultra, if the 9800gtx isnt faster then a 9800gx2, and is only slightly faster than an ultra, and is just gonna be a new chip, where gonna have alot of ****ed off people here on tech forums.

so are the 9 series ment to be coming out in feb or what, i'm starting to consider one over the 8 series gt

well the 9800gx3 is gonna be dual gpu, and its supose to be 30% faster than the ultra, if the 9800gtx isnt faster then a 9800gx2, and is only slightly faster than an ultra, and is just gonna be a new chip, where gonna have alot of ****ed off people here on tech forums.

Here's the best way I can explain it:

The 9800GX2 is technically, at the hardware level, pretty much 2x G92 8800GTS in SLI in one card (two PCBs though). All the specs are the same. And some early reports are indicating this performance-wise.

Now... in the past, the new flagship from a new series would always beat the flagship of the old series, even when the old series was in SLI. So an 8800GTX would've beat two 7900GTX in SLi. Seeing as how the G92 technology is 8-Series technology and it's been used to its full potential (the 8800GTS G92 has all SPs enabled, higher clocks would not yield major improvement) The next single-gpu flagship from Nvidia, for the 9 Series, should be a new GPU entirely, and it should be more powerful than the 9800GX2 for that reason. They really should've named it the 8800GX2 or 8900GX2, or something within the 8 Series.

The only thing I can see working at this point is that their single-gpu 9 Series flagship becomes the 9900GTX, but what happens if the single-gpu flagship is weaker than the GX2? Then what? If it's slightly weaker, then why not go to the GX2? If it's much weaker, then why not go to an 8800Ultra? It just won't work to have the single-gpu flagship weaker than the 9800GX2, so it either has to be stronger... or maybe, not even exist at all :eek:

What if the 9800GX2 IS the flagship 9 Series card.. what if there is no 9800/9900GTX, what if we have to wait until the 10 series before we see a huge revamp in the gpu tech??

well quite simply that would suck. games are getting much more demanding very quickly. considering the ultra still struggles with some older games even on lower resolutions, waiting for a 10 series for any real improvement is lame XD I might have to join the SLI bandwagon and suffer with the nvidia boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom