my PSU ok for 8800GT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

braz

Daemon Poster
Can my PSU handle the 8800GT? I will upgrade in the future, but is it ok for now? I am using a x1600pro 512mb right now, gunna upgrade to an 8800GT, this is the case i have that came with the 450w psu. Says my PSU is 450 Watt ATX Power Supply (P4 & AMD Ready) i read the side and it says 12v@18a
does my psu have more than one of those? So, can my psu handle it? link to my XION II case: Newegg.com - XION II XON-101 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply - Retail
Side of PSU pic from newegg- Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Specs:
KN8 SLI
x1600pro 512mb If it cant handle it, should i get this 1? Newegg.com - mushkin 550250 ATX12V / EPS12V 580W Power Supply 115/ 230 V TUV, CE, CB, cUL, FCC - Retail
AMD 64bit 3200+
2gb ram

Should be enough, pretty much the bare minimum that the GT needs. If i recall it requires a 400w with 16A on the 12v rail.

It should be ok, but i wouldnt like running a standard case psu on a higher end gpu for too long.

the power supply fails taking the compments with it...
just scaring ya but it might happen since the case manufactor's might just put cheap psu's on the cases to maximize profit.

I would not run the 8800GT with that card. There is a chance it might blow and take the card with it. The first rule of the techies bible: you should not skimp on your power supply.

should i buy the 8800 with a PSU now, or buy a new mobo, cpu, ram and psu first? To get me by.

I would not run the 8800GT with that card. There is a chance it might blow and take the card with it. The first rule of the techies bible: you should not skimp on your power supply.

this is so true. I've lost 1 system to a case psu and never again will i use them i learned my lesson that time. go for something like a corsair 550hx its awesome for a modular.

I had my crappy generic psu blow on me once. Luckily it didn't take anything with it. Anyway the corsair 550 is a nice PSU for the $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom