harddrive not visable

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj2003

Daemon Poster
Ive just put a 500gig western digital sata drive as a storage disk in my computer. Its not having windows installed on it. Put it in and vista couldnt see it, but the bios could (that includes it not being there in disk management). I then plugged it into a XP machine, it saw it no problem, did a full format and put some files on it, so i know the drive itself is working. I then returned the disk to my vista machine and its still not visable (again not even showing up in disk management) Ive tried all the different sata ports ive tried different power leads and different sata cables. Im completely stuck now to why it isnt working, it should surely at least show up in disk management, done afew searchs and all the advice i can find is "look in disk management itll be there"

grateful for any advice.

Check your safely removed hard wizard see if anything in there sometimes sata drives show up there and must be started and stopped.

thats found 5 "nForce RAID Devices" which i guess is my 5 hard drives. But how does that help?

try plugging in that hdd into one of the known spots that a hdd already works see if maybe there is a problem with the raid control controlling more then 5 HDD.

What you need to do is go to Disk Management under system tools in the control panel and format that secondary hardrive for the NTSC petition. It should automatically ask you to format the second disk after you open the system tools.

What you need to do is go to Disk Management under system tools in the control panel and format that secondary hardrive for the NTSC petition. It should automatically ask you to format the second disk after you open the system tools.

as i say ive been in there and its not visable to format.

try plugging in that hdd into one of the known spots that a hdd already works see if maybe there is a problem with the raid control controlling more then 5 HDD.

tried it instead of the two 120gbs (ie it was only running the 2 raptors and the 500gb, and the 500gb using exactly the same cables as of of the 120gb) didnt make any difference.

this is really getting on my nerves now. ive now tried the drive in a different machine running vista business the same as me and it picked it up no problem. Like i say my bios see the drive, my raid setup sees it. but vista doesnt.

help! :(

couple things i can think of
1) the harddrive is set to 3.0GB/s sata speed and mobo only supports 1.5GB/s
2) I had this happen to me on my mobo where it wouldnt recognize a drive, i had to go into the bios under the harddrive section, and change the detection of the HDD from auto to LBA

my only option for LBA is auto or disabled. ive tried both it made no difference. . .

fixed it, turned out i had all the SATA ports with raid enabled so because the 500gig was not being used in raid it couldnt not see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom