Flashing Bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordred

In Runtime
Is there any other way, besides floppy disc, to flash the BIOS on a motherboard? More specifically this Newegg.com - ABIT IN9 32X-MAX LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail motherboard?

I was on abit's site and found this Universal abit USA - Products
but the only way I can see to flash the BIOS is to use a floppy disc. I do not have a floppy disc and will most likely have to upgrade the BIOS on my board to get everything running smoothly, so any help will be appreciated.

I've heard about people using flash drives to flash the bios.. but i think that only works with certain motherboards. Sadly, yes the good old floppy is still used to flash the bios.

Just buy a floppy drive? they are $5-10 on newegg

This makes me angry. Thanks for the info though, can't blame the person delivering the bad news. It's not that I'm too cheap to buy a floppy drive, it's that I don't want to wait to get this PC up an running.

Well....I think you can make a bootable flash drive so that it will boot into DOS mode at the start and then do your flashing just like a floppy.

At least...that's how it's like for ASUS mobos.

Another option, but a risky one, is check if ABIT has any utilities on their site that will let you upgrade your Bios from Windows. Although this is a very risky method, it's better than nothing.

Good Luck

I'll look into the flashing the BIOS from windows idea, although I've read that some people have to update the BIOS on this board before they can even install the OS. I don't know how reliable that is, but it kind of worries me. Thanks again guys.

Wait...Do you have the mobo currently? Or are you upgrading soon...?

You can update Bios before or after OS installation. Flashing runs from DOS mode so it doesn't really need an OS, unless you're using an OS-based utility.

Also make sure 100% that there isn't any other way to flash the bios via windows utility. If there is a failure during update, there goes your mobo.

btw.. If there isn't anything wrong with your comp or mobo, don't even flash because if it "ain't broken, don't fix it". Not all Bios updates are mandatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom