Pentium or Athlon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
chopper said:
Hi,

What processor do you think is better? Athlon or Pentium? I'm totally behind Athlon because I own one and I haven't had any problems with it yet. I also heard that a 1.4 Athlon can beat a 1.7 Pentium. For some reason that tells me something and Athlon is cheaper as well.

Anyways, who do you preffer?

I personally don't think either processor is superior to the other. It all boils down to what are you going to use the machine for. In some circumstances AMD is superior and Intel is superior in some cases. To make a long story short, In my years of experience as a PC Tech, I have found AMD better for pure processing power (eg. word processing, Internet surfing etc.) I have found Intel chips to function better on graphical ends (eg. Gaming, CAD programs, etc.) I would recommend you go to each manufactores website and check their specs and find the right one for your needs,

chopper said:
Hi,

What processor do you think is better? Athlon or Pentium? I'm totally behind Athlon because I own one and I haven't had any problems with it yet. I also heard that a 1.4 Athlon can beat a 1.7 Pentium. For some reason that tells me something and Athlon is cheaper as well.

Anyways, who do you preffer?

I personally don't think either processor is superior to the other. It all boils down to what are you going to use the machine for. In some circumstances AMD is superior and Intel is superior in some cases. To make a long story short, In my years of experience as a PC Tech, I have found AMD better for pure processing power (eg. word processing, Internet surfing etc.) I have found Intel chips to function better on graphical ends (eg. Gaming, CAD programs, etc.) I would recommend you go to each manufactores website and check their specs and find the right one for your needs,

Athlon XP 2100+ VS Pentium 4 2.53 GHz ...

Athlon XP : very fast ... heat problem ...
Pentium 4 : very stable ... slower ...

Just my 2 cents ... :p

Athlon XP 2100+ VS Pentium 4 2.53 GHz ...

Athlon XP : very fast ... heat problem ...
Pentium 4 : very stable ... slower ...

Just my 2 cents ... :p

I myself is an AMD fan big time. Talking about the AthlonXP's which AMD's produce, and the Intel Pentium's 4's, AMD would produce better performance in that field, because 1) FPU is better 2) Pipeline Shorter. Those two reasons, gives AMD an advantage on the intel's pentium 4's.

Pentium 4 has better ALU, which makes it in a way better in Officie applications better than the athlonXP's, and when talking about the AthlonXP's on the other side, they are better with FPU's, that's why gamers would go for AMD's AthlonXP's for better 3d benchmarks.

I say as a conclusion for both the processor as follows: AMD AthlonXP is a better performance and cheaper. Intel P4 More stable, can be clocked more (because consumes less power), while LESS NOISE !!!! And doesn't use as MUCH as fans like AthlonXP's and produce LESS HEAT!

This is actually really interesting, that intel can be playing mind games with people with NO knowledge with computers. For example, someone trying to buy either 1.8 Ghz P4 or 1.533 Ghz AthlonXP, the person would go for a P4 for sure, MORE speed as in Ghz, but really they wouldn't know about the real performance, while AthlonXP's named that processor a 1800+ AthlonXP because if it was the old version of AMD, it would have ran at 1.8 Ghz.

If you are going do DistributedNet RC5 decrypting, hell, the single Apple G4 1 GHz processor would deliver around three times the performance of a 2.8 GHz Pentiuym 4!!! And around 1 and half more than a 2100+ AthlonXP ! but hey, there you go, some credits to the AthlonXP. One of the factors would be because of the RISC processors which the G4 uses. Check out " http://www.lostcircuits.com/cpu/p4_2400/6.shtml " for more details on the article which they made on the G4.

At the end of the day, I would for sure use an AMD processor.

I myself is an AMD fan big time. Talking about the AthlonXP's which AMD's produce, and the Intel Pentium's 4's, AMD would produce better performance in that field, because 1) FPU is better 2) Pipeline Shorter. Those two reasons, gives AMD an advantage on the intel's pentium 4's.

Pentium 4 has better ALU, which makes it in a way better in Officie applications better than the athlonXP's, and when talking about the AthlonXP's on the other side, they are better with FPU's, that's why gamers would go for AMD's AthlonXP's for better 3d benchmarks.

I say as a conclusion for both the processor as follows: AMD AthlonXP is a better performance and cheaper. Intel P4 More stable, can be clocked more (because consumes less power), while LESS NOISE !!!! And doesn't use as MUCH as fans like AthlonXP's and produce LESS HEAT!

This is actually really interesting, that intel can be playing mind games with people with NO knowledge with computers. For example, someone trying to buy either 1.8 Ghz P4 or 1.533 Ghz AthlonXP, the person would go for a P4 for sure, MORE speed as in Ghz, but really they wouldn't know about the real performance, while AthlonXP's named that processor a 1800+ AthlonXP because if it was the old version of AMD, it would have ran at 1.8 Ghz.

If you are going do DistributedNet RC5 decrypting, hell, the single Apple G4 1 GHz processor would deliver around three times the performance of a 2.8 GHz Pentiuym 4!!! And around 1 and half more than a 2100+ AthlonXP ! but hey, there you go, some credits to the AthlonXP. One of the factors would be because of the RISC processors which the G4 uses. Check out " http://www.lostcircuits.com/cpu/p4_2400/6.shtml " for more details on the article which they made on the G4.

At the end of the day, I would for sure use an AMD processor.

Ehem - <Little loan voice in the world mode>

I have an Intel PIV 1.6. Does exactly what it says on the box (1.6GHz) :)

<End little loan voice mode>

I have to say though - most of my mates have AMD - and get on fine with them. They also score more highly on benchmarks than I do - however the difference in (most) cases is so small that in a game you wouldn't and couldn't notice it.

I would say that PC's I build now tend to be AMD based - mainly due to cost - I do not recommend any one over the other these days :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom