Problems with laptop and router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

juniorgamba

Solid State Member
Hello everyone!! I have a gateway laptop and a linksys wireless router. My router has been working fine until 2 weeks ago. I had installed a bittorrent client and found out that my modem was actually working as a router as well so i had to tweak some settings in the router page 192.168.1.1, everything worked fine. 2 days ago i had a new internet provider install a new modem at my house and i tried to enter the configuration page for the linksys but it wont log on to the page, so i cant configure the router. The deal with my laptop is that it is connected to the network and has full signal, but somehow it is not connected to the internet. Its a gateway laptop with vista. I thought I might have to change the settings on my router on maybe some IP, etc. settings are wrong on my laptop. Help plz i really appreciate it.

If your missing your gateway address try the following...

Welcome to Tech-Forums !

Try what tkey said as well it might have a different IP from your last router.

Thanks for replying guys, i really appreciate your help. However none of the ip adresses that were posted are working, i just get an error saying that the operation took too long and timed out. My router is a linksys WTR54g. As for that link, my problem is somewhat different, i have full signal on my laptop, and i can connect perfectly to the network, but somehow i cant connect to the internet. I have tried the solutions that windows offered but no success. I have also restarted the router with no success. My laptop is a gateway MT6705. Do you need any more info on anything? any help is appreciated.

You say you can "connect to the network" what do you meen by this?

Try an ipconfig/all to see if it reveals any info. Once you get into router config you may realise your internet settings need setting up (Username Password etc)

Let me know...

Linksys have a reset button try that to, I know that sometimes a router will still broadcast a signal an allow you to connect to a internal device like a server or a NAS box but will not allow a connection to the internet. Also have you tried turning off your modem for a few seconds an then turning it back on?

You say you can "connect to the network" what do you meen by this?

Once you get into router config you may realise your internet settings need setting up (Username Password etc)

Thanks for replying, i also thought that there is probably some settings that are not right, but the problem is i cant get to my router configuration page. I have tried resetting my linksys router and my modem, but that does not seem to work. What i mean by connecting to the network is that my laptop is getting the signal from the router just fine, but it cant connect to the internet. As you can tell i am new to all this IP settings, DHCP, etc. so i dont know if maybe there are some settings wrong on my laptop itself??

Ok i can finally access the router page, after a few resets, etc. its all back to original settings now, so i still have to internet.Anyone know what settings i should have for wireless? my gateway adress is 192.168.1.1, according to ipconfig/all. I dont know what type of settings i should use for wireless capability. Any help appreciated. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom