Ordering TOMORROW. Need help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
K :D That makes me happy.

Is that mobo good? The combo just looked so delicious that I was like "OKAY THAT!" Not that I didn't check anything...

They're both GTS, but I realized that one is 640MB. So I guess that one.
...But the other one is PCI Express 2.0...
All these numbers that are bigger than other numbers!

NO! the other one is the G92 ... its more recent and much better

I looked at the specs on your case u picked... pick a new case buddy... my tuniq tower didnt fit in my case which is a few inches bigger in both dimensions... i had to reverse the side panel fans by unscrewing and flipping the window to make it fit and then it just fit by like .2 inches... the tuniq is basically almost touching my sidepanel... So i dont think it will fit... and if it DOES fit then it will be so tight you'll just regret not buying a bigger case

Ok, just making sure you dont make a video card buying error. That motherboard should be fine, except it is LT ...

Now i dont know for certain about LT 680i's but i found this for you...

Of course, before presenting performance results and discussing the complexities of this new reference design we need to first explain the differences between the 680i SLI and 680i LT SLI chipsets. We basically believe the 680i LT SLI SPP is a renamed 680i SLI SPP that has been feature reduced or more than likely neutered by the BIOS. The LT SPP carries the C55-P-N-A2 part number designation with its big brother being labeled with a C55-SLIX16N-A2 moniker. The real differences in the chipsets are in their choice of MCPs with the 680i LT utilizing the nForce 570 SLI MCP and the 680i SLI sporting the nForce 590 SLI MCP. It is always interesting to see how many times a recent NVIDIA MCP can be utilized in a different design or paired up with an ever increasing amount of SPP choices. We have to hand it to NVIDIA for having the ability to mix and match chipsets at will to create to new product line, but the constant renaming of the same chipsets has become tiresome and at times confusing.

With the chipset designations out of the way, let's see what the real differences are at this time. Both chipsets officially support front-side bus speeds up to 1333MHz so support for the upcoming Intel processors are guaranteed as is a certain amount of overclocking headroom. Both chipsets advertise "best-in-class" overclocking capability with the 680i SLI officially being termed "best" in this regard by NVIDIA. We think they are both equal but due to BIOS limitations we will probably never find out.

The 680i SLI offers full support for Enhanced Performance Profile (SLI-Ready) memory at speeds up to 1200MHz with the LT version only offering official 800MHz support. However, this only means you will have to tweak the memory speed and timings yourself in the BIOS, something most enthusiasts do anyway. We had no issue running our LT equipped board memory speeds up to 1275MHz so this feature deduction is not a real issue, although we wonder why they even offered limited support. Either do it all the way or don't do it all in our opinion.

Also missing in action is the Link Boost functionality that allows for an automatic 25% increase in the speed of the HyperTransport links that connect the SPP and MCP chipsets when utilized with an approved GeForce graphics solution. Although the performance improvements in benchmarks have been minimal to date, we have seen some minor increases in certain benchmarks with the 8800GTX cards. However, the GPU Ex option is available as is the QuickSync technology that improves memory performance when the memory is operating in sync mode. Once again, we have seen minimal performance differences in actual applications but every little bit helps.

The real differences between the chipsets are the missing features on the LT chipset. These include the loss of two USB ports (10 down to 8) and a Gigabit Ethernet port. The DualNet teaming feature is no longer available but will probably not be missed by the vast majority of users, nor will the loss of the second Ethernet port. However, the loss of two USB ports could cause issues with users who have several USB based peripherals.

One of the last options to go is the third physical PCI Express x16 slot that operated at x8 speeds electrically. While the primary purpose for this slot centered on adding a third graphics card for physics acceleration that is still not available, it will be missed by users who had x4 or x8 devices such as PCI Express based RAID controller cards. The remaining differences between the boards is the lack of a passive cooling solution, LED post code display, onboard power and reset buttons, and speaker. Last, but by no means least, is an option reduced BIOS that is designed to offer just enough options to overclock the board to a certain degree, but it is missing just enough options to frustrate most users who will be purchasing this board based on its performance capabilities

Just incase you thought you were getting a full 680i mobo... but that one should still be good and great price for all that stuff.

And as in my previous post... I predict you will have problems with that case + tuniq tower... i would get one of the cases suggested.

other then that i am not sure if there is a diffrence but like people have said you should wait on buying this...
My first build was impulsive and i regreted it so much....
Even my new one was ^.^ i just got lucky i suppouse ...

btw heres the link for that quote
AnandTech: EVGA 680i LT SLI: NVIDIA's 680i Cost Reduced

Ok, just making sure you dont make a video card buying error. That motherboard should be fine, except it is LT ...

Now i dont know for certain about LT 680i's but i found this for you...

Just incase you thought you were getting a full 680i mobo... but that one should still be good and great price for all that stuff.

And as in my previous post... I predict you will have problems with that case + tuniq tower... i would get one of the cases suggested.

other then that i am not sure if there is a diffrence but like people have said you should wait on buying this...
My first build was impulsive and i regreted it so much....
Even my new one was ^.^ i just got lucky i suppouse ...

btw heres the link for that quote
AnandTech: EVGA 680i LT SLI: NVIDIA's 680i Cost Reduced

Thank you very much for that.
My first buy wasn't really impulsive...I didn't know a lot, I just read "Building a PC for Dummies" (I swear, that's it). I found compatible stuff, and it worked. It still does, after three years. And I'm pretty sure I'll be fine with I'm about to order now.

Tell me this: Will it work really well? You have to understand I'm not a PC enthusiast or anything, I just want a really good computer. Will I really be thinking "this could be faster"? I've been using a Radeon 9550, 1gb RAM, normally clocked Athlon 64 3000+ (1.8 GHz) for three years. The quad alone should overwhelm me with speed.

Am I right?

Thank you very much for that.
My first buy wasn't really impulsive...I didn't know a lot, I just read "Building a PC for Dummies" (I swear, that's it). I found compatible stuff, and it worked. It still does, after three years. And I'm pretty sure I'll be fine with I'm about to order now.

Tell me this: Will it work really well? You have to understand I'm not a PC enthusiast or anything, I just want a really good computer. Will I really be thinking "this could be faster"? I've been using a Radeon 9550, 1gb RAM, normally clocked Athlon 64 3000+ (1.8 GHz) for three years. The quad alone should overwhelm me with speed.

Am I right?

oh yeah. This computer will blow you away. But just take some time. Chill out. It is not that* important that you wait another few days. Look around for a good motherboard that you really like ect. and pick a case that works, that you like, that will fit the tuniq in it.

i have to agree with the people who are telling you to wait and take more time to research your components. Its not as simple as you think, its not just "grab that grab this because they are compatible" you need to look at price performances, benchmarks and future upgradability.

For ex. you didnt mention you were planning on going SLI, so why use a 780i board? Do you know why you want a 780i board? or why most people will advise against a 680i board? ( havent looked at any 780i boards so i dont know how much of an improvement they are over a 680i board)

I personally would recoment looking at a p35 board like the gibabyte DS5L because it is cheap and can overclock well. If you want something a littler higher with better overclockability and a lot more feature check out an X38 board like the Asus maximus formula or the ABit quad GT. The maximus is good because it will auto overclock your CPU using CPU level up which is great for beginners.

i will also recoment an EVGA 8800GTS 512mb because you can always step up with it. No its not necessary but if you get more into gaming maybe you would like the option to upgrade to one of those new 9800GX2 when they come out.

Stick with the same brand of RAM, why not? why take the chance? Since you dont want to have to ask the question "could this be faster?" i would highly suggest waiting another 2 weeks before you are 100% sure ( and we agree) that the comp you want to order will be perfect for you and you wont be disappointed.

i have to agree with the people who are telling you to wait and take more time to research your components. Its not as simple as you think, its not just "grab that grab this because they are compatible" you need to look at price performances, benchmarks and future upgradability.

For ex. you didnt mention you were planning on going SLI, so why use a 780i board? Do you know why you want a 780i board? or why most people will advise against a 680i board? ( havent looked at any 780i boards so i dont know how much of an improvement they are over a 680i board)

I personally would recoment looking at a p35 board like the gibabyte DS5L because it is cheap and can overclock well. If you want something a littler higher with better overclockability and a lot more feature check out an X38 board like the Asus maximus formula or the ABit quad GT. The maximus is good because it will auto overclock your CPU using CPU level up which is great for beginners.

i will also recoment an EVGA 8800GTS 512mb because you can always step up with it. No its not necessary but if you get more into gaming maybe you would like the option to upgrade to one of those new 9800GX2 when they come out.

Stick with the same brand of RAM, why not? why take the chance? Since you dont want to have to ask the question "could this be faster?" i would highly suggest waiting another 2 weeks before you are 100% sure ( and we agree) that the comp you want to order will be perfect for you and you wont be disappointed.

This is basically what I was saying in my earlier post but the OP basically just shot me down. Good suggestions Prophet. OP should look into all these other possibilities. Its not just about whats compatible.

This is basically what I was saying in my earlier post but the OP basically just shot me down. Good suggestions Prophet. OP should look into all these other possibilities. Its not just about whats compatible.

I didn't "shoot down" anyone. I'm just saying I'd be completely content with...
Nevermind. I've deleted and retyped what I'm trying to say a million times.
Continue giving me advice please, and thank you.

And if you didn't remember: I HAVE BUILT A COMPUTER BEFORE! I'm typing on it right now! It's worked flawlessly for 3 years and I plan to have that happen again.

we're not attacking you bro, no one is doubting that you are able to build a computer, we just think you need to take more time and learn more about your components. A lot has changed since you built your comp 3 years ago.

We dont want you to simply be content with your comp, we want you to be estatic over it. Maybe cry some tears of joy when you first hear it purr? heh i'm just playing

Knowlegde is your friend, take some to understand how the different technologies work. Have you given anymore thought to your MB? i'm about to head out so i dont have time to track down the links to the MB's i suggested but if you need help narrowing it down some more i will find some info for you when i get back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom