Real Hard drive size and available space - help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinobi

Solid State Member
Hi, I just want to ask if anyone can explain this. My hard drive is partitioned in 2 sizes. 50 GB and 10 GB. The 10 GB makes up my C Drive. When I go into "My Computer," it shows C Drive to be 9.81 GB with 111 MB Free Space. But when I actually go into C Drive and "select all" and then right click and chose properties. It shows as 6.15 GB. So if all the contents of C Drive show as 6.15 GB how could there only be 111 MB of free space? There should be around 3 GB of space left. This of course has started to really slow down my pc. I have always left no less than 2 GB of free space on my C Drive to keep windows running smoothly.

Disk cleanup?

I tried that first thing, but wasn't expecting it to find the missing 3GB. Disc cleanup only gets rid of data that is accounted for but not really needed. I have a whopping 3 GB missing and unaccounted for. Something is taking up that much space but I can't find what that something is.

Remember restore points and hibernation also account for space. So if you have 3GB of RAM there is where 3GB is held up. In your hibernation que. Also restore points account for space but are not accounted for when you do disk cleanup. So depending on the amount of restore points you have you could be holding up 3-4GB of space in them as well.

Remember restore points and hibernation also account for space. So if you have 3GB of RAM there is where 3GB is held up. In your hibernation que. Also restore points account for space but are not accounted for when you do disk cleanup. So depending on the amount of restore points you have you could be holding up 3-4GB of space in them as well.

I only have 1GB of RAM. I have just formatted C Drive and done a clean install of WindowsXP a week ago. How do I see how many restore points I have to free up space. This is the first time I have seen this happen. Just yesterday I had over 2 GB of space free. I haven't installed anything new, and all of a sudden I have no space left. Really odd.

more than likely a lot of hidden items are not accounted in that group

I have set all hidden folders to show. In fact my other partition has hidden folders as well and it is showing the correct amount of space.

Try a disk partitioning tool Like Partition magic. You will have some tools to see what is going on then. Also try to right click on mycomputer and select manage.
Than clect disk managment and that may show you something also.

Go Start>right click on My computer>Properties. Go into the System Restore tab and see how much space it is set to take up under the Advanced button. Adjsut that to make sure it doesnt take up too much of yoru space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom