If your laptop came with an IDE drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I assume it's unlikely that it would have a SATA port to replace the IDE drive with a SATA drive?

Just curious.

In fact I don't even know what kind of drive is in this laptop, but I'm willing to bet it's an IDE. How do I find out? BIOS?

Very but if you have a newish laptop it will most likely have a SATA drive.

It shouldnt, your allowed to open it up to update ram, so your story can be you were going to do so, but then decided not to upgrade ram after seeing inside... yeah thatll do... lol.

And that won't void my warranty?

Nope. You might run into some trouble if they press you about it (no idea how or why they would) but it is actually illegal for them to void your warranty for such a thing. And if they do press it, say you had Geeksquad open it up, not you yourself. Who makes your laptop, anyways? I thought you'd said it was HP but I don't see you writing that. Just curious.

Yeah, as jorsoft03 said, it's illegal for a manufacturer to void your warranty for doing self-repairs. The only way they can void your warranty is if you break something in the process. Then they obviously wouldn't be responsible for fixing it.

For most laptops, the hard drive is directly under a panel that takes one or two screws to remove. Once you remove the panel, you should be able to see the hard drive and read the specs on the label. If it's up-side-down, there's usually a plastic tab that you pull (give it a strong tug) and the drive will pop out. Then you can flip it over to see the specs.

IMO, when it comes to replacing RAM and hard drives, modern laptops are easier to work on than desktops.

I'm with ya there, Kubel. Just a couple of screws and everything slides right out. Way faster than dealing with a desktop.

Hello,

You can check in device manager to see if your hard drive is PATA or SATA.
Alternatively, you can usually check in your BIOS settings, but specific information about the hard drive isn't always displayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom