x38 or 780i

Status
Not open for further replies.

nOcLuE98

Biohazardous
I know is mostly preference.. and even know the evga 780i is 30 dollars more than the ASUS p5E x38 that I was looking at... I am having a hard time not ordering the 780i. What do you guys think? I am not sure about going the SLI root, but I am almost sure I am not going to go crossfire. So now it comes down to what overclocks better? Think the nb on the nvidia chipset will get really hot still? Even with the massive cooler the 780i has on it?

Thoughts..
Newegg.com - ASUS P5E LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Newegg.com - EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

I'm going to say the x38 overclocks better, because Intel should have their products overclock their own stuff better :D

plus the 780i is probably a lot like 680i (it overclocks well, but there might be issues)

I'm going to say the x38 overclocks better, because Intel should have their products overclock their own stuff better :D

plus the 780i is probably a lot like 680i (it overclocks well, but there might be issues)

yeah, thats what I was thinking. I am a little worried though. I dont want to buy it(x38) and long for my slick black evga baby. (I am such a freak...) :D I think, if I can get a 780i for the same price as the x38, then I will get the 780. but if not, I will get the x38. :D.

Well, I still welcome anyone else's opinion.

with a promo code, down to 250 for 780i. 20 bucks more now.

I understand (and agree) about your point regarding EVGA 780i aesthetics, but I would suggest going with X38 (or even P35) unless you actually plan on using an SLI rig. The fact is that they overclock better (or certainly that was the case with 680i vs P35, and 780i is really just 680i+), and have fewer nagging problems.

While the P5E is a good choice if you are to select from X38, in terms of real world difference, there is not much to distinguish, say, the P5E from the P5K, except for the significantly higher price tag.

That said, that is just my view, and the differences between all the choices might have more importance from your point of view. At the end of the day, its really your choice. None of your suggestions, I would consider bad choices, its just you might find better bag for buck etc.etc.

I understand (and agree) about your point regarding EVGA 780i aesthetics, but I would suggest going with X38 (or even P35) unless you actually plan on using an SLI rig. The fact is that they overclock better (or certainly that was the case with 680i vs P35, and 780i is really just 680i+), and have fewer nagging problems.

While the P5E is a good choice if you are to select from X38, in terms of real world difference, there is not much to distinguish, say, the P5E from the P5K, except for the significantly higher price tag.

That said, that is just my view, and the differences between all the choices might have more importance from your point of view. At the end of the day, its really your choice. None of your suggestions, I would consider bad choices, its just you might find better bag for buck etc.etc.

yeah. Basically I agree with everything you said. I really want great support with the new 45 duals and quads, and what about the pci 2.0? When will that become a factor?

MAN that evga is sexy. Why cant all boards look that great?

The P5E isn't half bad lookin either....

01.jpg

Yeah, don't forget that you won't see much of your motherboard anyway, once HSF, RAM and GPU are in the way. Especially if you don't have a side window.

that does look nice I must admit.... BUT look at this sexy beast.

I have a side window:D and I really like the big black nb heatsink on the 780i :D yum

I can get the 780i for 243 shipped... man this is hard. I still think the p5e. it has a sound card, and looks decent, and is x38...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom