Looking for good, trustworthy hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ EndurancE

In Runtime
What are your thoughts on Western Digital (WD) Caviar hard drives? I've had my eye on this one: http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...032061.2032364.2032376&pg=2&parentPage=family
250GB 7200rpm EIDE

It's right in my price range, and it's more than enough space for my current video project. :)

But what are your thoughts on this brand, as opposed to Seagate, Maxtor, etc. Maybe it doesn't make a differance as far as "how safe my files are", but I just wanted to be sure before I purchase!

Would love any help or comments! ;)

yeah.. I love eggs.

wow.. I feel like an idiot. haha, listening to Jim Gaffigan.. after I posted that, I decided that it was retarted....

Perpendicular recording is a new way the data is written to the disk. Instead of laying the bits end to end, they are stood up (perpendicular), giving you more room (storage) on the disk. It is a real boon to HDDs.

Perpendicular recording is a new way the data is written to the disk. Instead of laying the bits end to end, they are stood up (perpendicular), giving you more room (storage) on the disk. It is a real boon to HDDs.

Oh I see. That does sound like quite breakthrough!
Yes, I may just order from newegg -- Thanks for the help guys!

Now does anyone know the approx lifespan of one of these Seagates? I've been told that most HDs burn out eventually, but I haven't had that happen yet. Was wondering if anyone else has had this experience?

Oh I see. That does sound like quite breakthrough!
Yes, I may just order from newegg -- Thanks for the help guys!

Now does anyone know the approx lifespan of one of these Seagates? I've been told that most HDs burn out eventually, but I haven't had that happen yet. Was wondering if anyone else has had this experience?

my dad put together a pc about 8 years ago and the HDD is still in good working order, you will have more chance of a different component breaking first

likewise i have a 4 year old pc, the HDD is great but the mobo is on its way

I've never had trouble with any of mine either -- thank God. I really should get an external backup HD though. Some of my stuff is unreplacable!! :eek:

Thanks for the help guys! :D I'll be making the order soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom