8800 gt heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkolk

In Runtime
So im looking at the 8800 GT and the 8800 GTS 512, how much better cooling does the dual slot exhaust on the GTS do vs the GT. If the GT isnt overclocked do i even need to worry about the non-exhaust on the GT, or would it still heat up the case alot if i wanted to OC the CPU. Im a little worried about heat because my case (antec sonata II) doesnt have a side or top fan, only a 120mm rear exhaust and an optional 120mm intake (its actually like in the middle of the case attached to the HDD cage).

well i can tell you i have the 8800GT 512 and currently i have it overclocked to 680 core clock and 980 mem clock and i notice a marginal increase in GPU and case temps. My case does have good cooling though. Possible invest in a pci fan card for 20 bucks.

My 8800GT gets pretty warm while gaming, but nothing to really cry about.

Of course, I think a dual slot cooling system would keep everything cooler, but the GT was designed for those who were looking for a single slot solution. My GT is at 650/950 and it performs great.

If your concerned about heat, just create custom fan profiles using rivatuner, because the fans are set kinda low. Just gotta deal with the added noise of a smaller fan, but its powerful enough to keep it cool if you up the speeds with rivatuner.... Just a suggestion

Things you might want to look into:

-Certainly with EVGA, but I guess other companies are the same, Recent GT cards have a larger fan, and improved Fan BIOS.

-I've seen people who are just unlucky, and find that they can hardly overclock their GT at all.

-EVGA are releasing a GT with a 2 slot cooler

My gt is at 650/850 and idles around 50c and load 70c. Gpus are rated for about 120c, so those temps are fine.

...although I would be seriously worried if it got anywhere near there! Its prolly good practice to keep it down around 80 to maybe 90.

Well mine is overclocked to 720/1050 and it idles at 46C and gets up to 62C under full load. But I don't have a closed case, I have 2 front fans, a side and top fan, and a 120mm rear fan with a 92mm tornado fan blowing into it from the cpu cooler. I have my top fan and one of the front fans (both tornados) unlplugged and I haven't seen any difference in temperatures of the gpu...or anything else for that matter.

Things you might want to look into:

-Certainly with EVGA, but I guess other companies are the same, Recent GT cards have a larger fan, and improved Fan BIOS.

-I've seen people who are just unlucky, and find that they can hardly overclock their GT at all.

-EVGA are releasing a GT with a 2 slot cooler

yea id like an evga GT with 2 slot cooler, as long as it doesnt add $40 to the price.

I was looking at evga GT ($240) Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom