upgrade to athlon x2 5000+ issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

natephette

Beta member
I recently updated my pc from a 3800+ to a 5000+ and am having a small problem. My motherboard supports up to the 5000+ with the latest drivers from hp's website so thats what I bought without having to upgrade anything else. The problem Im having is that as the computer boots into windows xp, it freezes at the "welcome" screen and does not read that my mouse is connected. Other times it will boot up all the way but will not read my mouse or keyboard. And still, other times it will boot up just fine and everything works.

Any suggestions on what to try?

HP tends to use cheapo Power Supplies, usually around 250 watts just to get their OEM hardware up and running , your best bet is to get a 400 watt power supply to resolve ur issue.

This happened to my buddy when adding a video card (also a HP)

o and while your add it clear the BIOS since a new CPU was installed, it will be more clear for the BIOS to read it

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I bought a 500W power supply back when got a new video card (7600gt) and added 2 gigs of ram

you need to clear teh BIOS and uninstall the CPU driver before u install the new 5000+
for the mouse/keyboard issue unplug the power cord from the back and let it sit with no power for 10 minutes then when everything is plugged in (Keyboard, Mouse, etc) you can plug back in the power plug.

So to clear the bios do I just need to reset the cmos?

Thanks, I will try that when i get home tonight.

EDIT:
Also, if I uninstall the processor drivers, where can I get them after I boot back up?

processor drivers will reinstall by them self, i no sometimes oem computers have issues with ram upgrades though.

Ok. Do I need to put my old proc back in before uninstalling drivers and clearing the bios or could I just boot up with the new proc in and uninstall the drivers then reboot?

EDIT:
Also, I have a newer motherboard driver installed from the factory installed settings. Will I have to get the new driver again after clearing?

You just need to do a bios reset and reboot with the new CPU still in. And make sure you remember any things you changed in bios like SATA enabled or whatever. If you didn't change anything in bios don't worry about that.

Also go the the site of the Motherboard maker and see if they have a forum specific to that board or a help & support system.

Thanks for the help. The board was made my ASUS specifically for hp to use in their pc's so they don't even have it listed on their site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom