Starting my Pc overclock today. Few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBM/PS1

In Runtime
Ok so i'm going to finish overclocking my computer today. First here's some specs

Q6600 g0 stepping @ 2.4 ghz
2GB ballistix tracer 1066 mhz
8800GT 512
DS3L

Currently all settings are stock. I ran a mark06 run and i got "11805"

Is that an acceptable score with stock settings for my system?
When i got to the cpu tests the fps was at 1-4 FPS is that normal?
When overclocking do i need to touch the NB voltage?

That's all for now. I'll post updates when i get some.

Update: i'm @ 2.88 ghz so far. Had to raise the cpu voltage to 1.325.

Is it normal to get windows error messages when playing with the ram settings? I was trying to get my ram back to 1066mhz and it said i was missing windows files. When i lowered the ram speed it booted in fine.

How do i run multiple instances of prime95 for each core? I read the help file but i still can't figure it out.

Ok so i'm going to finish overclocking my computer today. First here's some specs

Q6600 g0 stepping @ 2.4 ghz
2GB ballistix tracer 1066 mhz
8800GT 512
DS3L

Currently all settings are stock. I ran a mark06 run and i got "11805"

1Is that an acceptable score with stock settings for my system?
2When i got to the cpu tests the fps was at 1-4 FPS is that normal?
3When overclocking do i need to touch the NB voltage?

That's all for now. I'll post updates when i get some.

Update: i'm @ 2.88 ghz so far. Had to raise the cpu voltage to 1.325.

4Is it normal to get windows error messages when playing with the ram settings? I was trying to get my ram back to 1066mhz and it said i was missing windows files. When i lowered the ram speed it booted in fine.

5How do i run multiple instances of prime95 for each core? I read the help file but i still can't figure it out.

1That score is perfectly acceptable for your stock system.

2Yes the CPU test usually run at about that FPS.

3I personally didn't touch my NB voltage, may want to wait for someone more pro to answer that though.

4The Windows Error Messages are odd, might want to look into that, I think it's just system stability due to too high a RAM clock but that could be completely off.

5You shouldn't need to run multiple instances of the latest Prime95 for a quad core? I know for mine at least it stresses all 4 automatically.

What CPU cooler do you have out of interest?

Thanks for the reply:

Sadly my version of windows is counterfeit. I bought a copy from a store but i think it's a faulty version. When i was installing the OS it was i was missing the file driver.cab. This might have something to do with it.

I didn't notice that when i changed my FSB that my ram speed automatically changed. I noticed that it was around 1200mhz which is over the max 1066 that it runs at. I haven't had any problems since i kept it under 1066.

I had an outdated version of prime95. I found the new one that stresses all 4 cores with one program.

I have the tuniq tower with blue led fan.

UPDATE: I just finished a 1 hour stress test and my peak temps was 56C under full load. I'm gonna try and hit 3.6ghz :). So far i'm very pleased with what this cpu and heatsink can do. I'm only bummed out because in the summer my ambient temps will go way up and i'll have to reduce my OC most likely. Either that or buy more case fans.

Current OC is 3.33ghz

When you insstalled windows make sure you format otherwise the setup cannot copy files for reasons I don't know and the driver.cab file is pretty **** important

Anyway i can download the file from a windows site?

Also what do you mean by format?

UPDATE: Ok got a new problem, Well not really a problem more of a concern. Everytime i make a change in bios and save it, My pc turns off for 2 seconds then starts back up again (i assume to apply the new changes to bios).

I got my overclock to around 3.4ghz and 1.325 CPU Volts and restarted my pc from windows i noticed my pc shuts off for 2 seconds then restarts, Instead of just resetting normally. Is this normal? When i restart from windows with stock settings i never lose power.

Anyway i can download the file from a windows site?

Also what do you mean by format?

UPDATE: Ok got a new problem, Well not really a problem more of a concern. Everytime i make a change in bios and save it, My pc turns off for 2 seconds then starts back up again (i assume to apply the new changes to bios).

I got my overclock to around 3.4ghz and 1.325 CPU Volts and restarted my pc from windows i noticed my pc shuts off for 2 seconds then restarts, Instead of just resetting normally. Is this normal? When i restart from windows with stock settings i never lose power.

When you install windows you should be met with the current Windows installation and you can format that. To format is to wipe the contents of the HD so make sure you BACKUP EVERYTHING

I'm not a hardcore motherboard expert so I cant help you with your overclock problems

Yeah i formatted when i finished my pc. I was trying to use avoid reinstall but i was getting alot of problems.

EDIT: Reached 3.6ghz with 1.325 Volts. Gonna run a 1 hour stress test. Any help on that power loss after restart would be appreciated.

Update:Had errors all over with prime 95 lowered to 3.5ghz and raised voltage to 1.40. so far so good after 30 min.

Make sure you monitor your memory multiplier while bumping up the FSB to make sure that your memory speed stays stable.

In regards to the switch on/switch off when you turn the computer on that usually means the motherboard has reverted to default BIOS settings because the overclock is too unstable.

However once you change setting in the BIOS and save them it is normal for it to turn off and start again.

Ok so i think i've hit my wall for speed with my current set-up. I got 3.6ghz and my temps peaked at 66C which is as hi as i want to see them. In terms of ram how do i get it to run at a1:1 ratio with my cpu?. I'm given limited options for changing it. The closest i can get it is 950mhz. If i go over 1066 the system is unstable. Do i need to up the ram voltage?

@ raziel

I should have been more clear. When i restart my pc sometimes the pc shuts off for 2 seconds then starts up normally. Other times it restarts without shutting off. Which ever it does my bios stays the same and never reverts to defaults.

Hrmm... That's odd. Could be a PSU issue (not having enough juice). What PSU have you got?

In regards to the 1:1 ratio, what is your FSB at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom