Paging File

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarrenX

In Runtime
I have 2 gigs of Kingston Hyper X memory (DDR28500) at 1066 MHZ, and a Seagate Sata2 HD at 500g (16mb cache). I currently set my paging file to 0. And have read numerous blogs, post, etc. on the subject. So I'm asking for a definitive objective answer... what is the ideal paging size, and/or do you even need it.

Your page file should be twice your memory. (4GB)

Hardly. If you run out of memeory with two gigs......you must be running some monster CAD or audio mix software. 2 gigs = page file of 0. If you're Using high paging then you're going to suffer lost performance because these are page breaks or applications thinking data is in memory but it's on disk. Normally very high page disk is incorrect memory optimization settings for Exchange. Page files had meaning with systems that couldn't get over 512mb via the mobo and those boards live in the stone ages. I run 4 gigs on both of my systems and the page files are appropriately set at 0!!!

i believe only if you have low memory...variable on the system 2gs maybe the minimum for enough ram

I have 4gs (3.3) and Vista puts nothing aside for paging file :D

No, I believe he should be running with about a 500MB-1 GB page file. I don't agree with the comment about only running out of memory if using a CAD program: once, I was running with a 0 page file and as soon as I loaded up a save game in S.T.A.L.K.E.R., it crashed immediately and BSODd due to lack of available memory. I haven't tried it with many other modern games, though I believe that the outcome would be similar.

i think if you have 2g, then you can have 0 or 4g...but once you put 4g in your system, it seems to not need it

i'll do some testing for myself this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom