About to order, last thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really see the need for the striker extreme. If you want SLI, I suppose its not a bad choice, although striker extreme + 4GB RAM is not a happy pairing.
so, my suggestions

-Mobo. For SLI, consider that none of the 680i boards support the new 45nm processors, so you won't be able to upgrade in future. Also the EVGA NF-680i might be a better choice. Otherwise there is the new 780i with PCIe2.0 and 45nm compatibility. If you don't care about SLI, get a P35 board (e.g. GA-P35-DS3R, Abit IP35 or Asus P5k), or an X38 board (Asus P5E, Maximus formula).

-There are better CPU HSFs. maybe a Tuniq tower 120.

1) what would be the practical diff b/w the 680i MOBO and the 780i? (i'm relatively new to all this stuff so i don't yet undersatnd all of the technical talk)
2) you are saying to get the tuniq tower 120 instead of what?

Thanks.

P.S. which 780i would you recommend?

The improvements of the 780i over the 680i are really just in terms of if you plan on upgrading in the future, so if you were instead of the Q6600, to use one of the new CPUs (such as the E8400), you'd either need the 780i, or a good intel based motherboard (P35/X38 etc.). PCIe 2.0 gives larger bandwidth for graphics cards (I think, correct me if I'm wrong anyone), but there is no practical difference between PCIe1.1 and PCIe2.0 at the moment, because no graphics cards even approach straining the PCIe1.1 limit. So its not a worry at the moment.

Why the decision to go Nvidia chipset? unless you actually want to use SLI (the worth of which is in itself, highly debatable), I would strongly advise you to NOT go for an Nvidia chipset and instead go P35 or X38. SLI is the ONLY reason to go for these motherboards. And SLI isn't, in my opinion, a very good option anyway.

The tuniq replaces that Zalman CPU cooler that you mentioned.

The 780i is a refined 680i, so in THEORY it should be more stable and less prone to self detination that the 680s had. So far the 780i seems to be rock solid from all of the reading i have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom