building computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah people love their over priced computers. Oh well, let them waste their money if they are too stupid to listen

Well, I think thats going a little far. Most people (quite rightly) would rather pay an extra $200 to buy from a reputable site who know their components, have tech support, and won't rip you off. Compare that with a random dude on ebay who says 'yeah I can build you a computer, just gimme some cash'. People who don't have the time or inclination to do the research/building/troubleshooting required for building their own computer are undoubtedly going to veer towards the safe, tried and tested method. And rightly so.

Thats the major obstacle in building computers for people, and I would say that its a bit of a pipe dream, really. If I could make £100 just for building someone a computer, of course I (or anyone here) would happily do it, in the same way that I'd happily get paid £100 to sit around an drink beer all day. Its just not really a particularly feasible way of making cash.

If you are really dead set on the idea, I guess the best way is to build it up locally, by building computers for people you know, and who will trust you with the investment. Then more work could come through word of mouth, etc.etc.

Well, I think thats going a little far. Most people (quite rightly) would rather pay an extra $200 to buy from a reputable site who know their components, have tech support, and won't rip you off. Compare that with a random dude on ebay who says 'yeah I can build you a computer, just gimme some cash'. People who don't have the time or inclination to do the research/building/troubleshooting required for building their own computer are undoubtedly going to veer towards the safe, tried and tested method. And rightly so.

Thats the major obstacle in building computers for people, and I would say that its a bit of a pipe dream, really. If I could make £100 just for building someone a computer, of course I (or anyone here) would happily do it, in the same way that I'd happily get paid £100 to sit around an drink beer all day. Its just not really a particularly feasible way of making cash.

If you are really dead set on the idea, I guess the best way is to build it up locally, by building computers for people you know, and who will trust you with the investment. Then more work could come through word of mouth, etc.etc.

extra 200? I know what you are saying, and piece of mind is worth the price, but it isnt 200 diff. go custom build a PC on alienware's website with their best components, and then, build a comparable computer, and check the price diff. It is closer to 1-2K. They rip you off.
But that doesnt mean that they dont have good support, or anything else you said. That is all true. and that is the real challenge, you are totally right.

Maybe try making and selling a computer to someone of close family (dad, mum brothers, sisters or other relatives)

Then if they buy it off you, ask them to ask friends or other people they no if they need a computer or maybe some help with a computer

Forking :D

Maybe try making and selling a computer to someone of close family (dad, mum brothers, sisters or other relatives)

Then if they buy it off you, ask them to ask friends or other people they no if they need a computer or maybe some help with a computer

Forking :D

This guy makes sense. Start with family, then friends, then friends of friends (this is where you start getting professional, taking calls and what-knot) and finally complete strangers!

i'd suggest making a website and a forums to go along with it for your tech support/hardware troubleshooting and with those forums you can have others sign up and there ya go you've got some good techies that are doing the troubleshooting for you, but for some time your going to have to maintain it by yourself untill you can get more users.

If you do not wish to learn or invest the time in learning HTML/CSS then i'd find someone that could and get you started. then you could make business cards and put the website on along wiht the forums for help :)

i've wanted to do this for quite a while but i doubt many people would believe a 15 year old can build you a computer.

But Redmo0n does have a good idea start with family give them business cards to hand out and they can contact you and then they can tell others and...well yea you can see where im going with this.

yep, i guess i will go with the family/friend path.. i will ask everybody if they need a computer and if they know others that need a computer lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom