Help me choose a motherboard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a good board. personally I would never spend that much on a board as it
s not needed but it's a good one.

If you want to go X38, go with the ASUS masimus formula (which is more expensive) or an Abit IX38 Quad GT( Which is cheaper than the one you linked)

The Quad GT is nice because along with the maximus it has built in Clear CMOS, on/off and reset buttons.

The clear CMOS button is on the back IO Panel..

That's one thing I liked about my Striker, it had all that extra crap, such as on board buttons and the LCD poaster. But I'll probably stay away from ASUS boards for a while....

But if you want it all, the eVGA 780i has it. All three slots are PCIe 2.0, where as the Striker II Formula 780i only has 2, with the middle being a standard. Plus, the Striker had major 680i problems, just cant wait to see what ASUS screwed up for 780i

2 main options if your planning on going the x38 route are the ABit quad or the maximus formula. the Quad is a little cheaper but the maximus has auto-overclocking which is excelent for beginners and more features.

If you're going intel and nVidia for your GPU, why not get an SLI board? The 780i by EVGA is a VERY nice board an I'm using that one in my super-build (QX9650, 2 x 8800Ultras, evga780i, 4gb of DDR2 1200). It's very future proof with PCIe-2.0 support and much more.

EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

I just don't see the point in ever needing to go SLI. I'll be using an 8800GTS 512, the resolutions I'll be playing at will always be at max 1680x1050, and I can always lower it a tad if needed. I just want the best mobo for my setup, and if it is SLI ready, thats cool, but may not ever be used.

2 main options if your planning on going the x38 route are the ABit quad or the maximus formula. the Quad is a little cheaper but the maximus has auto-overclocking which is excelent for beginners and more features.

Oooh very interesting, didn't know about the auto-overclocking on the maximus. It is pretty effective? I am a complete noob when it comes to OCing, so that may come in handy... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom