Stupid Hard Drive Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Merlin

Daemon Poster
OK, I have an 80gb Western Digital 7200rpm 8mb now.....

I am wanting to upgrade my PC later this year and rather then changing CPU's I think I will get a bigger performance boost switching to a 10k HD;)

So I was scouring Newegg.com and here is their list:)

From what I see here none of them are retail, all OEM's:rolleyes:

From the label says on my current drive it is IDE:eek:

I'm pretty sure that my mobo came with SATA cables, but if it didn't those are easy to find right?:confused: :D

Next, is there a huge performance difference between SCSI and SATA? The SCSI drives seem cheaper:confused: And what type of special connector would an SCSI drive require?

Next, does size matter? I only have 14gb's used right now on my 80gig drive:p So would their be any performance difference between a 1/2 filled 36gig 10k and 1/4 filled 74gig 10k?:p I usually uninstall games after I have finished them that explains the low volume

Look forward to your help and replies, thank you;)

get S-ATA, if u have money to throw, else you'll end up saying that, do i see the difference?

I have twin S-ATA 10K RPM and 7200RPM, I dont find and big difference.

Blind_Arrow said:
get S-ATA, if u have money to throw, else you'll end up saying that, do i see the difference?

I have twin S-ATA 10K RPM and 7200RPM, I dont find and big difference.

Is what he says true? Will I see a real world performance difference?:confused:

MicroBell said:
I would answer...but I have no clue what point he's trying to make. Difference..compared to what?? SATA vs IDE? RAID vs Single drive?

Well, I'm going from IDE to SATA, 7,200rpm to 10,000rpm:confused:

wat arrow was saying is... he has 2 10k sata drives and he doesnt see much difference from 72k. but if u have the money to spend get the 10k rpm drive and see for yourself, if u doubt the minor performance difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom