Help with my PSU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed my psu has only 18A allowed on each of the 12v rails. My 8800gt's say they require at least 26A. Is this a problem? I'm so confused! Also, when i connected everything, I didn't designate anything to certain rails, I just put it together. My guess is that is bad. I checked out the PCP&C Silencer 750 and that thing looks nice. Single rail the best?

So how should i divide between the rails? I've never done this before so any help would be appreciated!

It is not possible with your PSU since it is not modular. According to your psu, #2 12v rail powers one pci-e(6 pin) and the #2cpu(4/8 pin), and #4 12v rail powers the other pci-e. Seems the problem would be on the #2 12v rail as the cpu is pulling on that rail as is the gpu. So, the more you over clock the cpu, the more power it pulls, which leaves less power for the gpu. One way to see if this is happening is set your cpu/gpu to stock settings and run some tests(3DMark,Sandra). Then OC your gpu's, test scores should increase. Then OC the cpu. I would bet you see a drop in scores now or a bsod from not enough power because of rail #2. You may also try swapping the 2 pci-e plugs to your gpu's as one may pull more power than the other. Still bet you will need a new psu because of the rail #2 design.

Also, here is a quote from NewEgg I found. ---->"Cons: Because of the way this PSU is organized you can not run a quad core (let alone an OCd quad) and 8800GTS SLI. I learned this the hard way. The second PCIe power connector shares a rail with CPU#2. This is a problem if you are running a quad, and if your motherboard has an 8pin CPU power connector you should not buy this for your SLI set up."

There are also other comments from people running dual GT 8800 or GTS 8800 with the same problem as you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom