How do I wipe my HD's clean and reinstall XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually a full format with the XP CD will not only check the disc but it will write zero's like powermax. The only thing it wont do is check the boot sector. ;) That is where powermax has the advantage.

The only reason why i suggested a full format and not quick is i have seen more installs get corrupted trying to install via the quick format method.

Eric you were not wrong to suggest powermax. I fully agree that a quick swipe with that is much more effective than using Windows. The only reason why i suggested Windows CD in the first place. Simplicity. Some people dont know how to operate the LiveCD's.

You have brought up some very valid points and i will get myself a copy of powermax and i will see if i can write up a guide for that as well so that i can suggest that next time someone asks a formatting question. :)

once you make that, ask an admin if that can be made a sticky. That would be very useful.

Sure thing. Will try to get that done ASAP and get it up for people to use.

I stand corrected as well. I thought it did write zero's...

I stand corrected as well. I thought it did write zero's...

at least you had enough respect to not question a person who didn't post a wrong answer and then add false facts.
I've always had a saying. if you going to correct somebody, at least be right, because correcting people is not a polite thing to do

EricB, when did I say that an XP format could write Zeros? And why are you getting really defensive? I'm not posting in a demeaning manner, please quote me when I did. I'm just stating what I know, I'm in no way saying that I'm the only one on here that knows "stuff". Relax :)

All I'm saying is that A zero fill is not something that the original poster needs to do, thats all. Please stop getting all defensive. He has a valid XP cd... thats fine :) he doesn't need 3rd party software to get the job done. What you recommend is great!!! But, the problem isn't that complex in the first place.

I never said that XP could write zeros my friend. Stop with this complex in your head that I'm some evil dude out to get you.

Mike...Try to edit your post. Dont triple post please. :D

What i think Eric is stating is that you mentioned

Because a quick format doesn't delete anything, it only removes the MFT. In my opinion, it should never be used unless you are cloning on a drive. A quick format doesn't format anything.

and this

BTW, a regular format doesn't check the disk for bad sectors.

Which technically is wrong. As Eric posted what a Quick format and a full format does it is totally opposite what you stated. That is what he is referring to. Now please stop the fighting. :)

PS Posts merged.

Honestly, I know that this is their utility and their KB article... but it's a little misleading. A quick format doesn't remove files. It only removes a file association table from the drive, nothing more. Same with a floppy quick format. They have in their aticle that it checks for bad sectors... ok, fine, on plain paper it looks like that I made a mistake. Honestly though, the format utility might "check" for bad sectors but it doesn't do anything with them. I really don't even think that it does check for them... but I need to dive deeper into the technical aspects of the utility which may take a little time. BTW, makaveli, I'm not fighting :) far from it. EricB doesn't like me for some reason and is bringing up older feelings.... don't know why. I'm not posting in this thread to proove anyone wrong....just help. I'm just illustrating that all the original poster wanted to do was reinstall windows on a reformatted drive.

As for my posting..... lol.... right. I just type as I see things. Sorry if I don't "edit" my posts from now on. If you want to follow me around on tech forums and merge my posts fine :) But, I'm not doing it on purpose :) hehe

I know Mike. I wont follow you around. I can understand how you can post multiple times when you get a new thought in your head. I have done it myself. Just try to edit when you can or remember. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom