Trouble deciding on vid card..

Status
Not open for further replies.

monagi

Baseband Member
Well, for a while I was set on getting an 8800GT for my new build, and eventually adding a 2nd one using SLI. But I keep hearing talk that SLI just isn't worth it. So now I am trying to decide if I should just go with 1 nice 8800 card, or try out crossfire which I've heard good things about (although in the back of my mind I keep wanting to stick with Nvidia). I'll have a 750w PSU either way I go. Opinions?

I like to keep the resolutions fairly high, but am flexible on the matter. I have a Samsung 226BW 2ms monitor, and enjoy the 1680x1050.

I would go for a single card really.

8800GTS 512mb would be ideal....the 8800GT 512mb is plenty capable as well and does wonderfully at that resolution.

I was just wanting to have upgradibility down the line really, wouldn't get the 2nd card for a while. But I am guessing 1 card will suit my needs just fine for the most part.. By the way, how do you like your toughpower 750w? That is what I will be using heh.

It's a great PSU....very stable, efficient, and more power than I'll ever need. Had it for about 1 year with tons of different setups and never had any problems. The rails are still solid as ever...tested them with a multimeter the other week. 12.08 idle and 12.06 with my q6600 under prime95 load and 100% gpu load with rthdribl

Which, with my clocks I would imagine would be around a 400-500 watt drain.

Having had both a GT and GTS, i like the GTS512 better, plus you'll be able to step up to a GTX in a month or 2 if you get the evga model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom