My new build, comments? Dual WC Loops, QX9650, 780i, 8800Ultra x2 SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexinator

In Runtime
My old build is annoying me and is down. I'm quite sick of the problems with 680i, and also want to go to 45nm and SLI. Here's what I am running now:

Striker Extreme 680i
E6600 2.4 @ 3.98
DangerDen Custom WC system
8800GTX (has 8800Ultra BIOS flashed over, then OCed)
HR-03 Plus Thermalright aftermarket cooler
2 x 1GB G.Skill DDR2 800 RAM (4-4-4-12)
520W Hiper PSU (Not enough connections)
TT Armor
Acer 22 inch wide

I'm going to be ordering mostly all new stuff at the beginning of next month. Here's the list:

eVGA 780i SLI Mobo
QX9650 3.0 @ ~4-4.5
Dedicated WC loop for processor (red coolant)
8800GTX (w/ Ultra BIOS, then heavily overclocked)
8800GTX (w/ Ultra BIOS, then heavily overclocked)
Dedicated WC loop for video cards (blue coolant)
2 x 2 x 1GB (4GB) of DDR2 1200 RAM (5-5-5-15)
1100W 80 Amp Tagen PSU (6 x 12v rails, 2 x 6-Pin PCIe and 2 x 6+2-Pin PCIe, and MUCH more)
All in my modded black mirror finished TT Armor
22-Inch for now, then in another month or so I'll be getting a 30-Inch 2560x1600, better then HD 1080P once the gov't gives me my $800 Tax Refund

I'll be spending an additional $3,000 on this stuff, for a total value of about $4,500. Any thoughts or mistakes that I made? Thanks.

perhaps instead of the qx9650 consider the new e8400 and save some bank.

If you rig is for gaming like I think it is, the dual core will serve you just fine.

Why not go for one loop with a single larger radiator. It would save you space and some cash.

perhaps instead of the qx9650 consider the new e8400 and save some bank.

If you rig is for gaming like I think it is, the dual core will serve you just fine.

Why not go for one loop with a single larger radiator. It would save you space and some cash.

2 GTX's will put off ALOT of heat..so a loop for them alone is needed..

I'd probably do a MCR320 for the GPUs and a MCR220 for the CPU and NB

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

compare to

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Yorkfield 3.0GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 130W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

id go with the wolfdale unless you are truely super rich, but if you have to work for your money i dont see 800 bucks of difference in these cards. the wolfdale is fine for gaming and will overclock quite well. infact you can even buy one of the newer standard version 45nm intel quadcores for like 300 bucks when they come out and ebay ur old wolfdale real quick n cheap, or put it to some other use, and you will still be looking at a 600-400 dollar savings.

other than the fact that i think its wickedly expensive due to ur cpu, i love the build... maybe its just my jealousy talking... but i think that the money would be better put to some use. ****, with the money you save on ur cpu you could buy vernong another computer :)

I think all the things I would say have already been said, so all I can say is...

We need pics, and a thread with your progress. I cant wait to see this baby and its benchmarks.

well if you want an amazing gaming rig why not go with the new ATI 3870x2's? they're what? 15-25% faster then an ultra, cheaper, and crossfire scales way better then SLI. Or if your stuck on nvidia, why not wait for the GX2 to come out? I just dont see the point in dropping 1000-1200$ on two vid cards that are old technology, when the newer cards are going for 450$ and boast a 30% increase.
but if money doesnt mean anything to you i guess it doesnt matter. I would just be kicking myself to invest in a Ultra a month before its phased out. its like buying a 640mb GTS a week before the 512mb comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom