How many installs may I have per one XP Pro disc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi again everyone! I was just curious how many installs I might be able to obtain from the one XP Pro disc I have. I have had this disc since 2002 and have used it for 6 or 7 installs I think.

This disc was given to me by a friend who is a CEO of a computer company. The disc says: "Fulfillment Distribution".

Then it also says:

"NOT FOR RETAIL OR OEM DISTRIBUTION."

Then it also says: "UNLICENSED SOFTWARD-ILLEGAL WITHOUT A SEPARATE LICENSE FROM MICROSOFT."

Can anyone tell me what type of disc it is, and how many installs I might obtain before Big Eyebrows are raised?

Mak, you mentioned something about right answers to right questions?

Yesterday, when I used this disc and number, the automated system came on again and asked me to read off special numbers, then the automatic lady gave me special numbers to enter into the box, then the system was activated.

Is it possible that I am on my last install?

Freddy

Legally: Infinite installs, but just on one computer. So if you where to install it on a new computer, you'd legally have to format the windows install off the old computer.

Just tell us the serial number. JK. Well, if you want to be nice you can pm it to me, but that is beside the point. It will last a long time. A long, long time. It looks like a VLK (volume license key) cd. That means it really has no limit.

Well as i stated in the other topic this issue cant really be answered. Since the real answer is that you can only 1 isntall per PC.

If you build or buy a new PC then you have to buy another copy of XP or Vista.

But mcovalt is right. If it is a corporate edition as you say it is, or at least it sounds that way, you will have at least 15-20 installs on the serial.

But you say that you had to call this past time. Well that would mean you hit the limit. So basically if you tried to use this disc on another machine technically you should have to buy a new one.

As for the right answer to the right questions...the easiest way to answer this is say you had a hard drive failure. Just that. Tell them your hard drive died and you replaced it and had to re-install Windows.

Other than that well i think it is pretty well explained. :p

Well as i stated in the other topic this issue cant really be answered. Since the real answer is that you can only 1 isntall per PC.

If you build or buy a new PC then you have to buy another copy of XP or Vista.

But mcovalt is right. If it is a corporate edition as you say it is, or at least it sounds that way, you will have at least 15-20 installs on the serial.

But you say that you had to call this past time. Well that would mean you hit the limit. So basically if you tried to use this disc on another machine technically you should have to buy a new one.

As for the right answer to the right questions...the easiest way to answer this is say you had a hard drive failure. Just that. Tell them your hard drive died and you replaced it and had to re-install Windows.

Other than that well i think it is pretty well explained. :p

Makaveli, I think maybe I wasn't clear on my original post. Yes, I did call again, but with this disc I have had to call on every installation. The number is an 888 number and it is an automated system. I thought everyone had to do this...wow, I sure am learning a lot! During the install, a screen pops up that says I must now activate my XP operating system. The same screen has a strange 6-7 set of upper and lower boxes. The upper boxes each have 5-7 sets of numbers. The lower boxes are empty. I then must fill in the lower boxes. It gives a choice of going online to do so or to call this 888 number. When I call the 888 number, an automated lady's voice comes on and asks if I am ready. Then it asks me to type in each of the sets of listed numbers. When complete it waits a few seconds. [I usually cross my fingers and hope for the best at this part of the install.] Next, the voice asks if I am ready to type in new numbers for the lower set of boxes. After typing in the new set of lower numbers that the voice gives, then there is a waiting period of a few seconds and then the voice says congratulations, your new version of XP is validated.

Well, now I have a new question: I thought everybody's version of XP does this. Is this so? And if not, what type of disc is this and why is it different?

Ok, I hope I am not being to nosy or ignorant!

It's me, Freddy

Usually, you can just hit "Activate Now" and it just activates itself over the internet. Calling is just an alternative. Does the same thing.

No most of the time we just activate over the internet. That is all i have ever had to do. It was only when i knew my activation limit was up and i still used the disc and had to use the work around method to have a valid install that i have had to call.

Since you have had to always call i am guessing that your network drivers were not installed during the setup of XP. Which does not allow for you to just use the internet. Either that or maybe that corporate version asks that you call. Honestly i dont know off hand as i have not used it.

I have used a corp edition before and it never even asked for a serial let alone activation. So i dont knwo what it could be. Even VLK (Volume License Keys) dont ask for a call everytime.

You shoudl be safe to keep using the disc. Just make sure if they ask that your hard drive crashed and you had to re-install. ;)

Well, now I have a new question: I thought everybody's version of XP does this. Is this so? And if not, what type of disc is this and why is it different?

Ok, I hope I am not being to nosy or ignorant!

It's me, Freddy

You're ok. Yours is doing what everyone else's does. The way you described it is normal. The only difference is that most of us choose to just activate over the internet instead of calling the number. If you have internet connection, you could just choose to do that and it would automatically activate instead of going through all the entering numbers thing. But you have chosen to go the phone route, which is perfectly ok, too.

There is no sign that you are coming to the end of your activations. When you are forced to call to activate, and the automated part doesn't work, and you are sent to a live person, that's when you can start wondering about how many activations you have left. That's when you need to be careful about the right answers for the right questions. But I don't think you have anything to worry about right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom