Trying Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
WoW i think can install natively. But if not i am sure it is Wine compatible. As for the iPod software there is ipodlinux which can do it. But i dont think it works with the new iPod's that jsut came out. Maybe Chris can confirm that one for me?

Ubuntu by default can read and write to NTFS partitions. So you should not have any problems with the files you currently have with XP.

I made a video on YouTube about installing Ubuntu, I filmed a screencast during an install....but it's REALLY easy to set up. I always dual-boot with XP, Ubuntu will automatically install the GRUB bootloader to do this for you. The harder part is installing video cards and wifi cards after it's up and running, because 3d acceleration needs proprietary drivers for nVidia and ATi Radeon X or HD cards.

My video is on my YouTube account YouTube - CalcProgrammer1's Channel, should be the first video there.

nVidia cards are REALLY easy (at least my GeForce4 MX420 is, Restricted Manager gets it right away) but ATi cards, even though Restricted Manager detects them, install outdated and only partly functional drivers. The new drivers that support AIGLX are horribly unstable and will crash your PC if you don't have them exactly right. That's why I don't use Linux that much on my Radeon X1600Pro PC.

And yes, an old MX420 DOES run Compiz Fusion with the fancy animation plugins very well. Sadly, I can't say the same about my newer Radeon X1600Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom