First Time Building: Check Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Accendo

Solid State Member
Well hi there all ^__^,
As you can see I have never made a PC before however I know thats the best way to get a really good gaming rig at cost. Sooo...

I've really spent quite a bit of time making sure everything in here is easily legible and sorting out the links. I know it's quite a bit to read but I'm sure some of you know how daunting a process it can be the first time you go to make a PC!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Therefore, if you could tell me whether these certain pieces of gear are worth it or not that would be fantastic:

1. [£61.45] nVidia 7600GT -- I have one of these currently -- have had that for about a year now and for only another £60 is it worth it to go SLi on this rather than get an 8800GT that would cost me another £100 on top of buying this card? And then maybe in the future I'd SLi up some 8xxx series nVidia cards.

2. [£34.06] Corsair: 2GB -- I'd like to get 2 of these for 4GB.

3. [£169.19] Core 2: Quad -- The next up Quad core is about £100 (40%) more expensive, so is this one really worth it / future proof?

4. [£21.09] CPU Cooler -- Would this provide enough cooling on a QuadCore CPU is what I'm wondering.

5. [£49.88] Pretty Case -- As vain as I am and how pretty I think this is, it has 2 fans built-in so I'm sure with them I wouldn't need to worry about any over-heating would I!?

6. [£58.27] 800W PSU -- This PSU I assume gives enough power but what I am really wondering is, does this PSU have enough cables for everything I have in this PC :S. ((Ever so sorry I'm so noobish with making PCs but thats why I'm here ^_^ -- to learn and be given a helping hand!))

7. [£45.71] 320 GB HDD -- I believe I'm right in thinking that my MB supports SATA-300 which is what this is.

8. [£21.84] SATA DVD -- Just a basic DVD.

9. [£62.51] SLi MB + Socket 775 -- This would support my CPU, RAM and SLi, but is it worth it for the quality? (I read some good reviews on it but would rather ask here too)

TOTAL = £536.98

Note 1: There's a good chance you guys could tell me whether I don't need such a powerful certain piece of gear or if I need a more powerful one, so please give me all the insight you can do!

Note 2: Also, would I need to buy cables for everything :S -- thats something else I'm not so sure about!

Note 3: Oddly enough I wasn't expecting it to be this cheap ((I was aiming more toward £700)). So if you could recommend things that are a bit more expensive but more reliable then please do. But not things that would make it insanely more powerful because every penny saved is a penny earned...
...erm...
If you don't understand me, I was willing to make a PC for £700 but if I can make it cheaper then I have more money for games and getting drunk ^__^.
:exclamation:BUT:exclamation:​
If something really shouldn't be there then I don't mind losing the odd night-out to make this rig a bit more a-some!

1. [£61.45] nVidia 7600GT -- I have one of these currently -- have had that for about a year now and for only another £60 is it worth it to go SLi on this rather than get an 8800GT that would cost me another £100 on top of buying this card? And then maybe in the future I'd SLi up some 8xxx series nVidia cards.

Get 8800GT because it is way much faster than Two 7600GT in SLI

Don't waste your money on SLI, you can sell 8800GT in the future and get a new high-end video card

I recommend this motherboard instead of nforce 650, but it doesn't support SLI
Gigabyte motherboard GA-P35-DS3L Intel P35 Express LGA775 1333 FSB Quad-Core / Core2 Extreme / Core2 Duo DDR2 ATX - GA-P35-DS3L - microdirect.co.uk

2. [£34.06] Corsair: 2GB -- I'd like to get 2 of these for 4GB.

There is no reason to get 4GB unless if you want to use 64-bit OS

You can always upgrade the ram to 4GB in the future, but for now you won't see a big difference between 2GB RAM and 4GB RAM

7. [£45.71] 320 GB HDD -- I believe I'm right in thinking that my MB supports SATA-300 which is what this is.

I recommend this hard drive
Western Digital 320GB Caviar SATA II 300 7200rpm 16MB cache Hard Disk Drive oem (KS) - WD3200AAKS - microdirect.co.uk

Westren Digital is better than Sumsung, and this hard drive has 16MB cache

PSU highly overkill, get a Corsair 650tx or 550vx or 520hx

add maroons suggestions

Would this 8800GT run the same as any other 8800GT ((I don't really understand why so many people make 8800GT's when nVidia do too :S -- So I'm guessing with so many different makes of the same thing there will be ones that are more reliable?))

So would it be better to get that £144 or is the £152 one that Vaanish posted better :S?

ALSO I already read through your thread Vaanish ^_^ -- it's the reason I was asking whether I should go for an 8800GT because you were so enthusiastic lol.

why wouldn't it? ^^^^

nVidia does make all the 8800gt's, its just the other ones are subsidaries of nVidia and they customize stuff like the cooler's look, and the speeds they increase/decrease to and whatnot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom