Windows won't load up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the HDD cables about, now when I start it says "NDLTR is missing press ctrl+alt+del to restart".

Problem after problem?

edit: changed the cables about again, now it's back to saying a disk read error has occurred..

Go back tot he cable setup where you got NTLDR missing. That is a easy fix. Just boot with the XP CD in and go into the recovery console and type in these commands.

fixboot after that type in fixmbr

That should fix the boot.

First i want you to check the settings for the jumpers on the hard drive and the CD/DVD drive. Make sure you have them either set to master slave like they should be or set to cable select. Which is the best option.

That should resolve the Booting issues.

Sorry about this, but can you explain the second theory?

I don't understand what you mean by

"First i want you to check the settings for the jumpers on the hard drive and the CD/DVD drive. Make sure you have them either set to master slave like they should be or set to cable select. Which is the best option"

Thanks for your help, as always :)

edit: I put in my brother's Windows XP Home disc, and when I start my pc it just goes to the screen with Verifying DMI Pool Data and NTLDR missing (or disk error has occurred). How can I get into the recovery console? Does it matter that I have windows xp professional on my pc, whereas the disc i'm using is windows xp home? (I don't have the pro disc).

edit2: i selected from my BIOS that it boots from my CD first..

It gets to this... ?

picturezj5.jpg

it says NTLDR is missing as soon as i press a key to boot from CD.

Yes you will need the Pro disc.

What i mean by the whole check the jumpers as it seems as if the jumpers are set wrong.They could be at least.

The jumpers are the little things on the back of the hard drive by the cable that go on the little pegs.

41HDDJumpers.jpg

they are the white things next to the power supply connection. Check and make sure they are connected to teh part of the jumpers that read CS. that is the Cable Select area.

As for you delema with the XP discs....there is another way but it is long and drawn out. It requires a Ubuntu CD so you have a Live Distro to work with.

Ok......

Changed some cables about, and it loads up fine...

Or that's what I thought.. until I got the same black screen treatment as I had in the first place.

Looks like I just spent £55 (110$) on a PSU I didn't need :(

I tried to boot from the CD also, it goes to the screen, says booting from CD, then the next screen it goes to is the plain black one.

Any idea what the problem could be then??

Have you installed XP? I see it says NTLDR is missing which is a ciritcal boot file. Have you fixed that issue yet?

Windows XP was installed on my pc. I basically was watching a youtube video, then all of a sudden my computer turns off. I turned it back on, and it went fine until it should go to the windows logo screen, but it just loaded up a plain black one instead.

So, bought the new power supply and replaced my old one. Then I did have the errors like... disk read error.. and NTLDR when I started my pc. Even if I tried to boot from CD, it would say it did and then just come up with the NTLDR error.

Then I changed about some connections from my PSU and my pc started, and I got the black screen again (like I had in the first place).

So is it my HDDs?

Is there something I can download that I can run from my USB or so at startup that will check if my HDDs are working correctly or not?

I did recently install a graphics card, but I was able to use my pc for something like a week after. I have the DFI Lanparty SLI-DR mobo, is there any way I can take my graphics card out and have onboard graphics?

Can you access the boot from screen?

Sorry, what do you mean by that?

I tried going into startup options (F8 right?), but it doesn't go. Was trying to run from safe mode or last known good configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom