Hard-Drive "Disk Boot Failure"

Status
Not open for further replies.

pukgandi

Baseband Member
The other day my computer got the BSOD and when I went to reboot it came up with the screen that says Disk Boot Failure insert disk blah blah. I have two hard-drives C: has windows D: is just storage. When I unplug D: i dont get that error and it boots to windows without the extra files. If I have them both plugged in I get the whole Disk boot... thing. Is this just a minor fix or is my HD busted?

pay attention to what you are doing...seriously :D

example:
what are your drives
you have an internal SATA drive?
you are using an eSata Drive? this is D?

1:
go into bios and see which one boots up first
chances are it's seeing your D as the priority boot...you can always keep D turned on before you boot and keep it as second, to maintain proper boot order.... OR

2:
if sata, this is an example...you might have 4 sata connectors, labeled 0, 1, 2, 3
C might be connected to 1, 2, 3 and D might be connected to 0 (or any combo with D being the lower number than C)
if this is the case, 0 is priority in default

I save myself the trouble, turning on my eSata drive whenever and not worrying about boot order by making sure my C is connected to 0.

Now, this problem occurs because you have 2 drives that are boot capable. The D drive most likely has no "windows" boot up data, but has an MBR. The system halts on D because it sees the mbr and does not continue.

another suggestion, just imo, don't mess with the mbr :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom