Part 2: More XP Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

objecterror

Daemon Poster
I've about had it with XP. I've split my 250 into a nice partition, one for system, one for everything else and now I can't boot past the windows loading screen. For some reason, it simply stops in its tracks and reboots, then i'm prompted to either start normally or at the last known configuration which i've been shifting between lately. I have checked for virus, spyware and now i'm at my wits end of the problem, right after an update i have this issue and i've recently repaired the drive...

funny thing about the repair, my system install is amongst the lower partitions..G:drive, so when it 'repairs' the disk locates it under "C" and i feel while that doesn't matter, there still isn't anything there. Any ideas?

With all the errors and problems you are having. Yeah format and isntall again. It seems that is the only way you will figure out what is going on. Beyond doing MemTest86, and removeing all yoru hardware to test each piece indivually to see if any of them are causing issues.

What about Driver conflicts? Have you isntalled newer drivers without removing the old ones first?

well, i'm going to do a format and re install of windows, uhm, only recent things i can think of where some things related to one or two updates via windows and i removed IE explorer(or attempted) oh well. thanks for the info, i hope i get better at diagnosing these issues later in my tech life.

Okay let me saw a couple of things here. For Vista there were some updates sent out on Jan 8th that have caused a few problem for people. You are not in Vista so they do not apply to you.

There hasnt been any updates to XP that have affected people like this. Not that i have seen thru the newsgroups that i have been working with.

So my guess that the removal of XP is causing this. If you really wish to remove IE in XP i would suggest you create a custom install disc using nlite. If i am not mistaken they can remove IE from the install and still keep it stable. ;)

I agree. It's bad news to try to remove IE. If you have 250 gigs, why bother? IE is nothing compared to 250 gigs. Just install Firefox or Opera or something and make that the default browser, and you don't even have to know IE is on there. It will save you a lot of pain and tears to just leave it on there.

alright, well, my system right now is running stable, the only infection i have(go figure) thus far is a virus linked to 'command.exe' right now it hasn't done anything malicious, but AVG and spybot know it's there. I've run through the smitfraudfix in safemode and the process is still there when i boot regularly, i read up online and there are issues with it but nothiing i've seen in stone of how to remove it.

Ran combo Fix, heres my HiJack log(why am i being targeted for the most virus' today?)

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.0 (BETA)
Scan saved at 10:06:12 PM, on 1/26/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
F:\AVG\avgamsvr.exe
F:\AVG\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus G\AirGCFG.exe
C:\Program Files\ANI\ANIWZCS2 Service\WZCSLDR2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
F:\AVG\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\usnsvc.exe
F:\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLLoginProxy.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Aaron Bailey\Desktop\HiJackThis_v2.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - F:\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [D-Link AirPlus G] C:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus G\AirGCFG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ANIWZCS2Service] C:\Program Files\ANI\ANIWZCS2 Service\WZCSLDR2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] F:\AVG\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Fvdsdife] C:\WINDOWS\s?curity\w?nword.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] F:\AVG\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] F:\AVG\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] F:\AVG\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] F:\AVG\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'Default user')
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - F:\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - F:\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: ANIWZCSd Service (ANIWZCSdService) - Alpha Networks Inc. - C:\Program Files\ANI\ANIWZCS2 Service\ANIWZCSdS.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - F:\AVG\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - F:\AVG\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

--
End of file - 4011 bytes

only concern i have are random pop-ups by windows explorer, completely out of the blue with no real intervals to speak of, iam going to run AVG again.

The log looks good. I don't see anything out of the ordinary there. Do you have SP2? If not make sure Windows Messenger is turned off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom