building computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

levon11

Baseband Member
yo i love building computers and i want to build computers for sale. i just dont know the right steps. i need a little help on getting started.. and im 15

Everyone has their own building style so there is no one set sequence of steps; however, this is the method I use:

Build Preparation
  • Gather the recommended tools and aids which include but not limited to:
Screwdriver/Pliers/Container to hold screws and jumpers/Cotton balls and isopropyl alcohol for cleaning/Grounding strap

• Get acquainted with the product manuals.
  • Find a well lighted area that is clean, preferably a sturdy table above a non-carpeted floor to minimize ESD, electrostatic discharge.
Build Process
Note: All steps assume the proper procedures in handling ESD sensitive devices.
  • 1. Make what I call a mobo sandwich: place a rectangular piece of foam on the building surface, followed by the anti-static bag that came with the motherboard on top of it, then the motherboard itself. So, a three layer stack is made. The bottom layer of foam is to give the motherboard some bending tolerance when installing the CPU cooler.
  • 2. Install the processor, followed by the CPU cooler with the necessary thermal adhesive, then the RAM modules in the appropriate slots.
Q: Why install the CPU cooler now?
A: With some CPU cooler mounting procedures, it is extremely hard if not impossible to install it when the motherboard is in the case.

• 3. Open and prepare the case. Install the I/O shield plate that came with the motherboard and place the brass standoffs in the appropriate holes. Next install the power supply while the motherboard is outside.
Q: Why install the power supply now, wouldn't the cables make putting the motherboard in a hassle?
A: While it is true that the cables may interfere with the building process, it may be impossible for the power supply to be installed when the motherboard is in and the CPU cooler is in its way. Simply, just move the cables out of the way for now.

• 4. Install the motherboard with the necessary screws.
  • 5. Install CD-ROM drive and hard drive.
  • 6. Make the necessary data and power connections (ie. 20/24pin, 4/8pin, SATA, molex, PATA/IDE, front panel power/reset/HDD activity/power LED/1394/USB/mic in/line out).
  • 7. Install video card and make necessary power connection (6pin, molex).
Q: Why install the video card this late?
A: Space is most likely cramped at this stage and you do not want to accidentally torque your video card with your strong hands while you are plugging everything in.

• 8. Double check all connections (fans, power, data) and close the case for the initial boot-up.
  • 9. If all is well then format your drive and enjoy!

some people like to order a couple parts at a tme and put them to gether as the come. usually this is for slower builders or builders who do not have all their money at one time. this can be especially convinient if your having to pay rent or something and your on a lower budget.

ok i get that part .. but who is gonna buy a computer from me.. lol thats my problem..

Do you have past experience? And if you do, do you have pictures of your work? Most people ask you how many computers you have built before so they have a sense of reassurance, if you can't provide this information then you might lose a few customers.

just know that it is expensive to get it all going. have some money. Set up a paypal account, and an ebay account.

Make sure* you track all the fees that are charged to you. Keep track of all the money. These are just good business practices, see what happens. You never know

yo i love building computers and i want to build computers for sale. i just dont know the right steps. i need a little help on getting started.. and im 15

I actually want to do this, and my problem is getting my name out there locally... everyone hears about this and tehy are like "ZOMG ALIENWARE??!"

And i try to explain to them they can have the same thing for much less but they just want the name brand i guess... (talkinga bout desktops not laptops)

yeah people love their over priced computers. Oh well, let them waste their money if they are too stupid to listen

yep i will start saving up money. then ill open an ebay account n stuff. but how can i get myself out there.. lol .. i have no past expirence except for building my computer , and when i finished, i loved it. lol how can i get myself out there? and how do i know what people are going to want to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom