I looking for my first laptop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr DMoney

In Runtime
Hello, I am looking for my first laptop. I know there are many different brands, and each company wants me to buy theirs. Now I just want to decide what to go for right now. I will be purchasing this laptop in only a few months at most and want it to be able to do what I need to do for at least 4 years.

The reason that I want a laptop is because I want to be a Game designer and will use this computer to do some intensive 3d applications. I will use it for schooling to become a game designer.

Here is what I have in mind for specs.

4gb ram - It may seems overkill but a year from now it will be standard
T7700 - best bang for my buck
3 Year warranty
at least 256mb 8600 gt
9 Cell batteries if available
wireless b/g/n network card
15.4 min monitor
Longer battery life the better
xp 64bit compatible

This won't completely replace my desktop but i will use it when I am in school and that is a lot of time.

Brands don't matter, just make sure they are respectible

the thing is they charge you $240 dollars more just to go from a 2.2ghz 4mb cache, 800mhz fsb cpu to the t770. the extra 200mhz are definitely not worth the $240 bucks so you're better off going with the cheaper cpu. also for ram they charge you $300 for an upgrade to 4gigs. you can easily buy 4gigs of good quality laptop ram on newegg for half that price.

Downgrade to 3gigs of ram. Downgrade to 2 years warrenty. Also downgrade to the processor under that which is not a noticble difference.

That will prob save you 500 bucks for stuff you really don't need. Maybe get a secondary battery. Also I would go with a dell vostro.

My opinion anyway. Just do not waste the money on that processor. 200mhz is not going to extend it's life. If 200mhz is that important, you can just overclock it and buy a laptop cooler. I doubt it will be needed though.

Here is my new specs:

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7500 2.2GHz
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic
LCD PANEL 17.0 in Wide Screen WUXGA LCD Display with TrueLifeâ„¢
MEMORY 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM
HARD DRIVE Dual Hard Drives, 240GB (2x 120) 5400RPM Hard Drives
OPTICAL DRIVE 8X CD/DVD+RW Read and Burn CD and DVD
VIDEO CARD 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600M GT
MEDIA DIRECT Dell Exclusive MediaDirectâ„¢ Instant Play Software Application
WI-FI WIRELESS CARD Dell Wireless 1490 802.11a/g Wi-Fi Mini Card
WEBCAM Integrated 2.0 mega pixel Web Camera
SOUND OPTION Integrated High Definition Audio

My Accessories

BATTERIES 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
ADDITIONAL BATTERIES 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Additional Battery
CARRYING CASE Targus CityGear Miami Messenger Case

Warranty

WARRANTY & SERVICE 2 Year Basic Limited Warranty
ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE SERVICE 2 Year Accidental Damage Protection

Changes:
Add Ram - Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Notebook Memory - Retail
I will use xp 64bit that already have.

I would get at least Vista home premium.

Also I don't think the accidental service is worth it. Just do not juggle or use the laptop as a coaster and you should be fine.

I would get at least Vista home premium.

Also I don't think the accidental service is worth it. Just do not juggle or use the laptop as a coaster and you should be fine.

I will use xp 64bit that already have.

Even if you are thinking he should at least have it, the OEM licenses are crap when sold from a manufacturer. They are binded to that particular piece of hardware indefinitely so you can't take the disc and install elsewhere even though you pay full price like you would for an OEM license, say from Newegg, that you could put on any one computer you own at a time. This is non-transferable. +1 terms and agreement licensing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom