Video card & Mobo question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

monagi

Baseband Member
This is the video card I plan on getting...

Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

I am now trying to find the right mobo for the job. I plan on eventually upgrading to 2 of those vid cards using SLI. My question comes down to compatibility... that video card is listed as PCI Express 2.0 x16. Does that mean it will only be compatible with mobos listed at PCI Express 2.0 x16 or will just x16 ones work? I don't know too much on the subject..

Also, if anyone would like to recommend a motherboard, feel free! I am after an intel board that can house Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Retail and my 2x cards. Thanks!

whats your budget?
SLI isn't usually beneficial for the price unless your on a high resolution (1080p+)
I'd say your system is great as is with one video card, but if you want really high performance, ATI is the way to go for multiple video cards

Well my plan was to just go with 1 card for now, since SLI isn't too applicable yet. But down the line when it may be, I wanted to have the option to add another card.

well... why not go for crossfire since it is applicable (need to look that word up) ?

I have sli... no big bother to me it was pretty easy and i dont see any problems yet but the limitations on it are outstanding and stupid

1. The no dual monitors in dual sli ****es me off, it makes no sense and nvidia needs to work on it

2. The small performance increase compared to xfire is gay

If you're going to use one card, get a 650i. If you're going SLi, go with a 680i EVGA, or wait for the 790i chipset to fall. However, I think you should go with a P35 chipset if you're going with one card for sure, to save money ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom