Windows XP and SATA HD incompatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
Just wondering what peoples opinions are on this...Have the below 320GB Barricuda that when I tried to re-format would not take an installation properly, most frequently would find "missing" files in my installation attempt, sometimes would install but then would eventually just freeze, or BsOd or random reboot cycles.

Anyways, tried atleast 10 re-installs and reformats to the SATA drive of different XP copies and never got past the above issues, this was with atleast one XP copy I knew was good. Anyways, bought a 320GB IDE today and installed no problem first attempt.

Is there a known issue with fresh reformats/installs regarding XP and SATA HDs or is my HD just got some issues?

I'd say your HD just has some issues. After you installed xp fine on the new HD, how well does the old HD work in windows?

Tried testing your memory by chance? Memory can cause failures on reinstalls. D/l and run Memtest86, run it for at bare minimum of 4 hours. Or you can try to swap out RAM sticks (keep one in, try again, if it does it again, replace with other one).

Hello,

Windows XP does not come with SATA drivers. When installing Windows XP on a SATA hard drive, you need to install a SATA driver for your hard drive when prompted during setup. This explains why you're able to install Windows XP without any problems on your 320GB IDE hard drive that you've also bought.

If you've not disabled 'SATA native mode' in bios, and you try to install Windows XP onto, or boot Windows XP from, a SATA hard drive, you'll encounter problems.

Hello,

Windows XP does not come with SATA drivers. When installing Windows XP on a SATA hard drive, you need to install a SATA driver for your hard drive when prompted during setup. This explains why you're able to install Windows XP without any problems on your 320GB IDE hard drive that you've also bought.

If you've not disabled 'SATA native mode' in bios, and you try to install Windows XP onto, or boot Windows XP from, a SATA hard drive, you'll encounter problems.

I thought it was something like this...I tried modding the XP bootable to include my SATA mobo drivers but didn't get it right. The odd part is that the initial install about 6 months ago when I bought the system installed no problem, not a hickup with XP on the SATA. Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom