Building a music machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timaphillips

In Runtime
I've got a great new project in mind. I'm diving head first into music recording and want to build my own windows machine for composing/mixing/recording my own music as opposed to a Mac. I figure for MUCH less, I can build a uber-fast windows PC to do the task. I also will want to be able to use AutoCAD and Sketchup for the occasional work at home.

What I want:

1. A slim case....if it can compete with it's larger counterparts.
2. PCI-E for dual-monitor support and for the 2D/3D work
3. USB 2.0 slots (2-3+)
4. Wireless networking built-in
5. Core 2 Duo or Quad core Intel processor
- Will the programs I use utilize quad core???
6. Built-in bluetooth connectivity for keyboard/mouse (is this available yet?)

Some problems I've run into with the slim box-like cases are that they don't offer enough watts (250w seems a little low). Also, when it comes to audio fidelity, should I go with an audio card or stick with the external USB 2.0 add-on that will come with the creation software? Thanks!

yes they will utilize 4 cores
by slim you mean small?
or can it be tall and slim?
wireless keyboards are not recommended unless your doing home theater

also NEVER go with case psu, very unreliable especially if you have a quad core

dont worry about USB ports, you can always get hubs.

slim case you might want to consider a shuttle? or maybe micro ATX

and for wireless, find a mobo with wireless capabilities.

So forget the bluetooth. Wireless Mouse/keyboard with a dongle will be just fine. I have been looking at some Shuttle's. I like the form factor. The only limitation I keep seeing is the PSU. They usually come with a little 250W. Is that too small? Also, will the music recording quality be increased if I get an after market PCI Audio Card or will the USB recording device do that all for me?

Whats your budget? You can buy sound cards designed for recording.

There are a few cases that are the size of a shuttle that allow the use of a standard power supply (don't come with one as well).

Whats your budget? You can buy sound cards designed for recording.

There are a few cases that are the size of a shuttle that allow the use of a standard power supply (don't come with one as well).

I guess it depends on what my options are. If I'm going to do it, I want to do it right, so I will save what I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom