Computer turns on then off quickly when drive is in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobkon

Baseband Member
I have a Lacie external 250GB HDD(formatted for Mac) that stopped getting power. I took it apart and removed the HDD that was in there (Seagate Barracuda 250GB) and connected it to one of my PCs so I can boot into Knoppix to get the data off.

When the drive is connected as the slave IDE HDD of a PC, and I power on the computer, it powers on for half a second then shuts off. I have now tried this on 3 different computers and they all get the same result...power on for half a second then power off. Literally half a second. I have even tried this with setting the Seagate as the master and disconnecting all other drives...still powers off after half a second. Once the drive is removed from the slave (or removed from master), all the PCs start up fine.

Any idea what could be the culprit here? Is the drive able to be recovered? Thanks

The drive's controller card likely has a short to ground pulling the main power down on the system it has been tried on. The likely only method available for data retrieval will be a data recovery method where the drive's platters can be read without need to connecting it to a system directly. This is where data recovery services make their money.

The drive's controller card likely has a short to ground pulling the main power down on the system it has been tried on. The likely only method available for data retrieval will be a data recovery method where the drive's platters can be read without need to connecting it to a system directly. This is where data recovery services make their money.

Would this make sense then when this drive was in the external Lacie casing it wouldnt get any power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom