Just finished build, Have a few questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBM/PS1

In Runtime
1. I was checking out my specs in cpuz and my ram is rated at 400mhz when i purchased 1066mhz ram. I haven't changed any of the settings in bios yet

2. What is the best location for a PCI Fan card? If i place it under the GPU fan it seems like it would be blowing the hot air back at it.

3. I have two hard drives on this computer. a 250GB WD Cavier and a 500GB WD Cavier which i just purchased. For some reason i can't find an input for the power pins in the new 500GB. The two i have look exactly the same except for the fact that there is no power pins on the newer 500GB version.

That's all for now. Thanks in advance.

First of all, what are your computer specs?

1. It depends on the ram divider, set in the BIOS. Check that out. Or in CPU-Z, what does it say for the Bus speed and FSB:DRAM?

2. I believe that most GPU fans are intake. So it would be intaking the cool air from the PCI fan.

3. I assume you're talking about the 4-pin molex power connector? Are they SATA hard drives? Some SATA drives have the 4-pin molex along with the SATA power connector. The newer SATA drives, just have the SATA power connector.

Sorry i should of been more specific

GA-P35-DS3L
2 GB crucial ballistix @ 1066mhz
Quad core q6600 revision g0
8800 GT 512

Multiplier x6
bus speed 266
rated FSB 1066
D Ram Freq 533
FSB:Dram 1:2
Max bandwidth pc2 6400 400mhz

Random stats i got from cpu. I'll go check out my bios again.

Are you using that funky blue cable with the 500gb drive? The one that is skinny on one end and really wide on the other end? If so that is covering the power for the drive.

Are you using that funky blue cable with the 500gb drive? The one that is skinny on one end and really wide on the other end? If so that is covering the power for the drive.

I didn't even bother plugging it in. So can i power this thing with the sata cable?

Sorry i should of been more specific

GA-P35-DS3L
2 GB crucial ballistix @ 1066mhz
Quad core q6600 revision g0
8800 GT 512

Multiplier x6
bus speed 266
rated FSB 1066
D Ram Freq 533
FSB:Dram 1:2
Max bandwidth pc2 6400 400mhz

Random stats i got from cpu. I'll go check out my bios again.

Oh ok, this clears things up. Your CPU speed isn't really running at it's full speed. This is because, the power saving features, C1E and EIST is enabled. Disable those two features in the BIOS, under the Advanced BIOS Menu.

The RAM divider is set to 1:2. So that means your RAM at 400, is running around twice the speed of your FSB, which is 266. You don't need to run your Ballistix at it's rated speed of 533(1066/2). If you want to, you can, but I don't think you'll be able to notice the difference between 533 and 400, in terms of RAM speed.

IBM/PS1 said:
I didn't even bother plugging it in. So can i power this thing with the sata cable?
What veedub meant I think, is that the blue cable that comes with the WD drives, would be covering up the SATA power connector. You can't power the drive by that blue SATA cable by itself. You need an SATA power connector, or a SATA/4-pin power adapter.

Oh ok, this clears things up. Your CPU speed isn't really running at it's full speed. This is because, the power saving features, C1E and EIST is enabled. Disable those two features in the BIOS, under the Advanced BIOS Menu.

The RAM divider is set to 1:2. So that means your RAM at 400, is running around twice the speed of your FSB, which is 266. You don't need to run your Ballistix at it's rated speed of 533(1066/2). If you want to, you can, but I don't think you'll be able to notice the difference between 533 and 400, in terms of RAM speed.

What veedub meant I think, is that the blue cable that comes with the WD drives, would be covering up the SATA power connector. You can't power the drive by that blue SATA cable by itself. You need an SATA power connector, or a SATA/4-pin power adapter.

Thanks for your help. I'm going to shut off the power saving stuff right now.

The HD was bought OEM so the only thing that came was the hard drive unit itself.

IBM/PS1 said:
The HD was bought OEM so the only thing that came was the hard drive unit itself.

Oh ok. Then you need an SATA data cable, and an SATA power cable (or an SATA/4-pin adapter, if your power supply does not have any SATA power cables).

Ok so i turned off those features you said and set everything to auto/default.

Changes: Multiplier no longer lower itself at random
CPU Speed: Dosen't change

Dram Freq. 533

Under the SPD tab it still says max bandwidth pc2-6400 400mhz

I'm starting to think it might be a problem with CPU-Z. IS there any other hardware detection programs i can try?

What version of CPU-Z are you using? Try the latest one.

If the DRAM Freq. says 533, I wouldn't worry much about what CPU-Z reports.

Can you post a screenshot?

You can also try Everest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom