A MemTest Readout That Has Me Stumped

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodNews101

In Runtime
Edit: Never mind; I got MemTest to work by booting up, loading my desktop, restarting and then it kicked in.

I found the stick that was so bad it would blue screen me even before the XP screen loaded.

I'd still like yo know though why MemTest acted this was.

I have had a number of BSODs recently and so I ran MemTest and I got 3 errors on Test 3 and a whopping 290 on Test 5. I have had Crucial Ballistix PC3200 in a 4x512 configuration for over a year and a half.

Last night I began testing each stick individually. Stick one passed with no errors with three sticks still to test. Since it was late I went to bed.

Resumed this morning with stick two in the same #1 slot. When it got to just where MemTest kicks in the screen started to read out in sequential order over and over the following:

AX:0212
BX:1A00
CX:0001
DX:0100
@X:8000

MemTest never loaded; I never got to the screen.

Even when I popped out the MemTest (floppy) in continued to do this. The same for the other remaining sticks as well. I though I was screwed by doing something unknown to my system when changing out sticks.

So I decided to try something and reboot with the third untested stick (but getting the same sequential readouts) and without MemTest inserted it booted just fine.

I have not a clue as to why this happened or what it means. I have run MemTest before so I am not a novice but I sure could use some experienced help here.

Why didn't MemTest load? What is going on with the readouts? What does it mean and what are your suggestions? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom