XP or Vista: How much ram supported?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheifno

Beta member
I am getting ready to build a new system to do 3d modeling apps. was orginally going to install 8gbs of ram but was told that xp does not support that much and that i only supports up to around 4gbs or so. I also i hear that video ram is also include with the ram limits. But i heard that vista might support that much. I am confused as to what to do, can anyone give me the 411 on this delimma?

vista 64 i believe supports up to 8gb of ram but vista 64 business supports 128gb of ram, i beleive that xp only utilizes 2gb of ram. someone correct me if im wrong

Any 32-bit OS will only read 3-3.5GB of RAM.

XP/Vista 64 bit will both read up to 128GB of RAM.

Edit: Vista Home Baisc 64bit only reads up to 8GB, and Vista Home Premium 64bit only reads up to 16GB. Still more than you'd ever ever need.

thanks for the info guys that really helps out alot, but i have one more question. Which would you recommend XP or Vista? I have a friend that has vista on her computer but when she tries to download something she can never find it again. I tried to find it for her but i couldnt find it. I looked in windows explorer and it said that it was in this file but when i opened that file it wasnt to be seen, i made sure that all hidden files where viewable, did a search for the file and it could find it either. So i am alittle skeptical about vista but am willing togive it some thought if i had some good info about it.

I haven't had any problems with Vista when I've used it. Just a little something you'd have to get used to, layout-wise. I personally triple boot, XP, Vista, and Ubuntu. XP is gonna stop getting support in '09, I believe is what I heard, which is around when Windows 7 is supposed to be released, as well. Vista has most of its bugs worked out, and it only really won't work with older (pretty old) hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom