How to find my XP reg. key

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was against the law to not give a CD, the sticker "should" be inside or somewhere on the box on an OEM machine.

Sorry, One key = one PC.

Or go back to W2K Pro, and load it as many times as you want.

I'd be going back to where it was purchased and demanding a new disk, or a quick call to MS, the disk I assume you paid for in the beginning, ask em where is it ? If they try to sell ya one call MS immediately.

Many places are in trouble for doing the very same thing, your CD must come with the machine.

Computer manufacturers such as HP, Compaq (who are now a part of HP), and Dell, set up on some of their hard drives something called a Recovery Partition, which contains all the elements of a fully installed version of Windows and whatever other software came bundled with the package. There is a specific keystroke combination that you press on bootup in order to initiate a Recovery, which consists of the options to repair, reinstall, or access the Recovery Console. The Recovery Partition represents an alternative medium for your Windows volume and OEM bundled software. As it comes as a preconfigured image, it saves the end users (the majority of whom don't entirely know what they are doing, which is almost a necessity these days) the hassle of trying to actually install and configure the OS. The Windows versions on these systems (almost invariably XP home) come pre-activated. But this medium replaces bundled CD based software. Mind you, if you have one of these systems, you have the option to order a CD version of this software bundle.

If you want to know your CD-key, you can download a program called AIDA32, which will provide a huge database of information regarding your PC configuration. Go to the Operating Systems section for your CD-Key, and much other useful information.

Cheers
DiggerB

That's great but if the key was used on another PC it's useless and will not activate, and the one on the drive will be either a fake found with key finder or similar illegal programs of part of a bunch with a heap of licences, just because they are a big company means they steal larger amounts and are more likely toi get away with it.

O/S and program stacking is common and illegal, one of my local dealers has so many charges to appear in court for selling systems without the disks, so when you have problems the poor newbie that knows no better has to go back to the shop for all repairs being paid again.

It may be legal in the US but it aint here, the disks must come with the system for anything installed on the drive.

I really doubt there is a copy of XP on the drive, that's damm stupid if the drive dies, I would be wanting my disk, before I leave the shop, should they refuse just call the cops, you will find they will become very friendly very quickly, and a disk will appear like magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom