Antec 900 stock fans question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyBusiness

Baseband Member
Having been using this case for close to a month already and I could notice thick layers of dust forming inside. I was thinking of changing the side panel window fan to exhaust instead of intake as the vga card is loaded with a visible layer of dust! I was wondering which direction should the side fan be blowing towards though.

The above was one thing. Now the hard disk drive and front intake fans are also sticking on with lots of dust. Perharps because I have not fitted a fan filter onto it. I have taken off the front bezel bays and realised that there is insufficient space to fit a fan filter in between the front bezel and the fans. I would like to know if anyone has tried to fit a fan in between them and what fan filter is recommended to be used in the antec 900 case.

Basically the dust issue is irritating as I hate cleaning the inside of the case which could led to accidental electrostatic discharge to the components as well the loosening of any installed parts.

I was also thinking if the process of installing a fan filter at the front is a difficult task, I would consider placing them in front of the bezel(although it would not look as nice or neater)

Else, another solution I can think for myself is to chnage the two front intake fans to exhaust. Does this makes sense? And is it ideal to have 5 exhaust including the front? I really hate dusts.

You'd have bad airflow if you switch them all the exhaust, rather than keep the front 2/side as intake. Cool air wouldn't be able to go into the PC over the components.

As for cleaning it...use use canned air. That won't create any static. That or an air compressor.

What do you mean by canned air?
How much does an air compressor costs?
Air compressor is certainly gonna be something very new to me. I have not own one and I think its gonna be too advance and the high cost incurred.
Would you prefer the side panel window fan to be blowing inwards or outwards.
Does outwards make good cooling?

No the side fan needs to be intake and so do the two front fans. If you have all 5 fans as exhaust, how is air going to get in the case? lol. Just buy a can of compressed air, aka "canned air" at walmart or a hardware store and blow out the dust using it instead of a rag or something.

You can even get them at newegg:

Newegg.com - BELKIN F8E412 Blaster Canned Air 12 oz. - Retail

just goto bestbuy and get it from there, no need to pay shipping for that.

newegg better start having free shipping if you spend a certain amount of money!

Vaccuum your apartment dude. Unless you live in the desert or something. I have a 900 and the only real buildup i get is on the fans themself, and the front bezel.

Certainly don't have the all exhaust! thats a crazy idea!:freak:

The side fan should push air in, I think. I don't see the point in having fans if they arent pushing in the right direction!

I'm currently experimenting with 'Bounce' dryer sheets over the intake fans, as dust filters (the white bits of fabric you put in your laudry dryer, not sure what the brand name is in the US).

Not been there long enough to know how well it works. Whole room smells of that fake 'fresh' fragrance though (my god, how do people want they're clothes to smell like that, it making me ill with its overly-sickly-sweetness)

Otherwise you could just clean it every month or so and vaccuuming your room might not be a terrible idea either.

I really wouldn't think an air compressor is a worthwhile investment, just to clean your computer from time to time, but if you have one lying around, bonza! Canned air is expensive, you'll find, as you get through it quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom