2 gb in dual channel or 3gb's

Status
Not open for further replies.

j12

Daemon Poster
What would be faster for my toshiba a135? 2x1gb stick in dual channel? or 1x1gb and 1x2gb stick. There are only 2 slots on my laptop and i don't want to install 64 bit windows for 4gigs of ram.

Depends on what you do with the laptop. 3GB in my opinion, is a little over the top, for a laptop. 2GB is just fine.

The main problem i have been having is using adobe premier elements to edit movies and it lags my laptop quite a bit. Either way i'm sure that 2gb's will be a big improvement over 1gb in vista.

It sure is a big difference. Since you're using Vista and making movies, maybe that 3rd gb would help.

if i were u i'd get xp on ur laptop and use 3 gigs, caus u'll need all the ram u can get for when you render ur vids, also xp uses less ram, its doesnt look as fancy, but it is still a good OS, and its complete, unlike vista, vista is too unreliable in my opinion. anyway, i'd use 3 gig, can never have too much ram :p ur pc/laptop always needs more then what u have, no matter how much u have, so i'd go for 3 gigs :) and specially caus ur using vista, vista drains ur pc's ram on its own, let alone if ur trying to use premier to make movies.

Vincent-Valentine

yeah, but not enough causes really bad lag, and caus its vista its already overly demanding so alot of ram is a good idea, but i still say go with XP till vista is realdy for realese, and by that i mean, when it doesnt have all the bugs, some bugs are undersandible but vista is the cute to sanity, its soo frustrating.

Vincent-Valentine

Running memory in single channel will reduce performance by a few %....however having 3gb will more than make up for it.

2gb for normal stuff is just fine in Vista...but for movie editing/gaming/other demanding applications 2gb is just not enough anymore.

i honestly would rather run 3 gig single channel with xp and premier pro then 3 gig in vista, vista is waay too demanding for a OS, isnt the OS meant to me the base, the foundation of what the programs run off, so if that foundation is demanding like vista, than any application run on top of that demanding foundation will lag, well not any, but any application worth running will lag, so the point in running vista in the first place alludes me :p

If you have the resources to run Vista then it's much more responsive than XP ever could be.

3gb is enough to make Vista extremely snappy in all situations, 4gb is ideal. I am running on 2gb at the moment with Vista 64 since my other 2gb are off getting RMAd, and the difference is noticeable.

Normal usage is fine, but I can no longer quickly alt-tab out of demanding games like Crysis to answer a message or something without waiting for about 5-10 seconds for things to recover...sometimes longer. When I had 4gb it was instant, just as fast as alt-tabbing from firefox or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom