Holy Complicated Batman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martlet

Solid State Member
A friend at work suggested I post here for advice. Here goes nothing.

I built my PC 7 years ago, and have made slight upgrades over the years (cpu, vid card, etc.), but nothing recently. I'm looking to upgrade, and to do so I'll probably have/want to replace everything. I started looking around online, and realized I haven't kept up with technology. I know absolutely nothing.

I MUST update my motherboard, cpu, RAM, and cooler. I'll also need another vid card and power supply, since I'm only running a 400w that's a few years old. I can get away with my dvd drives for now.

I think the new Hard Drives are much faster (?), so I should probably upgrade that. Now that I look at it, I suppose I need a whole new system.

The only thing I use this for is email and gaming. I don't game on it a lot, but I want it to work well when I do.

I'm cheap. The systems I've looked at online are all under 1000 bucks, including the monitor ($200). What sites do you recommend to purchase from? What system is suggested? I've searched the forums and seen a lot of suggestions, but i don't really understand many of them.

My suggestion, build it yourself. You get the best system that way. Go to newegg.com, filter the products you need by price, and sort them by customer ratings. Pick and choose what products you think will work for you put them on a public wishlist and show your lineup to us and we will critique it. It is really hard to configure an entire system for a complete stranger based on a single post, imo. Even if you live outside the US, newegg.com is a great place to start. They have a huge amount of products and an even bigger amount of customers that give great reviews. Also, newegg.com has great detailed buying guides to show what to look for in the product. This whole process will take some time.

My suggestion, build it yourself. You get the best system that way. Go to newegg.com, filter the products you need by price, and sort them by customer ratings. Pick and choose what products you think will work for you put them on a public wishlist and show your lineup to us and we will critique it. It is really hard to configure an entire system for a complete stranger based on a single post, imo. Even if you live outside the US, newegg.com is a great place to start. They have a huge amount of products and an even bigger amount of customers that give great reviews. Also, newegg.com has great detailed buying guides to show what to look for in the product. This whole process will take some time.

I've been at this for some time. I have a few lists compiled. I try to move them onto newegg (they are at tiger direct now) and post the list.

I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Thanks! I don't know anything about overclocking. I think I did my current set up when I installed it, because someone walked me through it. I have my case from my current PC. Can't I re-use it? It's pretty easy to work with.

The Acer that Trotter linked to. Would that be a decent machine to buy, then just toss in a higher end vid card?

If you like your old case go ahead and keep it. And yes that Acer is a beast for the price. But to upgrade the video you may have to upgrade the psu too.

That psu may not be adequate. I would recommend this one.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX ATX12V V2.2 450W Power Supply 90 - 264 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail

Watts are not important the amps on the 12v rails are and this Corsair has a single 33A 12v rail. Also Corsair makes excellent quality psu's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom