Huge problem...Keeps me from gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TowaruTsura

Solid State Member
So, I got a new laptop. It was awesome, has all this high end hardware (Well, except for the Video card, but it runs most games just fine, so no cares there.)

But there's a problem. It comes with Vista. Now, I'm not gonna be one of those guys who instantly dismisses Vista. Sure, it has compatibility problems and tries way too hard to protect your computer at the expense of your freedom, but when you turn that protection off, it's a pretty nice OS. The worst thing about Vista is that it's Sys Reqs are way, way too steep for a computer, and definitely for gaming. So, obviously, I got XP and dual-booted as soon as I could. I re-downloaded the drivers into XP, and got started.

A couple weeks later, I'm playing STALKER, when all of a sudden, the PC turned off. No warning. Just black screen. It won't come back on until I unplug the power cord and place it back in. Weird, really weird, but I've seen computers do sillier things. But there has to be a cause. I figured it was overheating, so I propped the laptop up over the surface I was putting it on with a book so it could be exposed to air instead of hard surfaces. For a long time, it worked. But now, I'm playing Eve Online, and it just did it again. The laptop feels really hot, but it CAN'T be overheating...Why? Because I was playing it on Vista first, then switched to XP because Vista was lag-alicious. Vista never has this problem, only XP! Since if it was an overheating problem, it'd take place on Vista, the greedy system resource glutton, not XP, which should take up much less.

Does anyone have an idea what could be causing these sudden blackouts, and how to fix them? Because this is very annoying, and I just can't play games on Vista anymore because of the massive lag.

welcome to next gen! lol
Windows Vista Team Blog : Windows Vista Power Management

It is most likely Vista's superior energy usage and power management that is keeping your hot running laptop from powering off. As for lag, there shouldn't be any if you turn off Aero, if your laptop was capable of it. Use windows classic and try it out, hehe.

Don't knock the Vista, it's trying it's best to keep your hot system running cool enough to play games :p

Also, there were some people who tried to say Vista made laptop batteries burn out quicker, which is bogus...it might use .01-1% more on energy draw but that's neglible.

Love the Vista (that's me saying I love Vista not telling you to)
:D

Right Click on "My Computer"
go to "Proprities"
Click on the "Advanced" tab
Under performance go to "Settings"
Now click on "Adjust for best performance"
Or you can choose what you would like to turn off

OR

right click desktop > personalize
window color and appearance > "Open classic appearance..."
window vista basic
ok

:D

Wow. That's better. But hey, what option lets your Alt-Tab bring up all your windows diagonally so you can click the one you want? That was cool. <.<;;

God, I sound like a noob for saying that. XD

It is overheating. It is a laptop which has no place to allow th eheat to go. It doesnt matter if it is XP or VIsta or Linux or OS/2Warp. Heat is a issue no matter what OS you use. If you do not use a cooling pad of some kind and play games for any extended period of time you run the risk of overheating.

You said it yourself. The laptop was HOT. There is the answer. Let it cool down restart it. Get a cooling pad to help control the heat a little bit and the problem will be resolved. :D

Wow. That's better. But hey, what option lets your Alt-Tab bring up all your windows diagonally so you can click the one you want? That was cool. <.<;;

God, I sound like a noob for saying that. XD

That option is part of Aero. You can't do that when you turn Aero off. So if you want Aero options, you'll just have to keep turning it off and back on when you're done gaming.

Or just add some more RAM and keep Aero on.

ram don't stop heat. I'd take the laptop back before your warranty expires or you will one day have a dead laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom