system fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

franky

Beta member
hello im new to this forum.

i have a question about my computer when it boots up.

when my computer boots up i just see a black screen and a mouse. half the time it says system fan failure. but when i took it to a geek squad they said that it was a false alarm becuase dust got into an area of the computer near the processor that is causing a false alarm.

should i be concerned about this. i would like to boot my computer normally.

it booted normally once when i cleaned the dust but it still gives the system fan failure message.

in order for it to go into windows xp i have to hold the power button for 3 seconds and move the mouse around just to get into the operating system.

one time it rebooted itself without instructions.

can i fix this false alarm or is it really a serious problem. i dont want my proccesor to go.

thanks

Need more info. Computer model/brand/built/specs/os? If you have the cpu fan hooked to a molex instead of the motherboard, that could be the cause of the system fan failure because its not detecting a fan. But the rebooting itself and having to hold the power button down leads me to think either the mobo has issues or the power supply does.

the computer is a hp pavilion a1630n.

amd athlon 64 x2 dual-core duo processor 4600+ for true multitasking.

2gb ram

250 gb hardrive.

the system fan is connected by red blue and black wires and at the end of the wires is molex connecter that connects to the motherboard.

it has windows xp media center edition 2005.

whats a mobo?

many times on such systems, the system fan isn't actually there...and can be ignored...though not really sure in your situation

You should be able to get into bios and tell it to ignore the error.
there may be something like "halt on all errors"
access hp bios by pressing f1 or f10 (mostly)...sometimes esc
in bios...load defaults by pressing f5 or manually locate settings yourself

NOW...I say the above, in that it COULD be ignored, but I'm not too sure on your system. Last place I worked at they had an old branded pc as the time clock, and it always had this error, I always had to hit a key to proceed. That machine seemed fine.

your system fan (whatever that actually is inside) may actually be dying. If you want, see which one it is and match it up...only about $5 I would say.

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs -  Error: CPU Fan Failed 

many times on such systems, the system fan isn't actually there...and can be ignored...though not really sure in your situation

You should be able to get into bios and tell it to ignore the error.
there may be something like "halt on all errors"
access hp bios by pressing f1 or f10 (mostly)...sometimes esc
in bios...load defaults by pressing f5 or manually locate settings yourself

NOW...I say the above, in that it COULD be ignored, but I'm not too sure on your system. Last place I worked at they had an old branded pc as the time clock, and it always had this error, I always had to hit a key to proceed. That machine seemed fine.

your system fan (whatever that actually is inside) may actually be dying. If you want, see which one it is and match it up...only about $5 I would say.

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs*-* Error: CPU Fan Failed*

ya i went into the bios and even checked the advanced settings and got no setting for "halt all errors" or anything with the system fan.

my system does seem to be working fine other than the startup problem.

thanks and i will check out buying a new fan just in case and replacing it.

maybee its not a serious issue but at least i will buy another fan when i find the proper one online.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom