need RAM advice, to use or not to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

swann

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I was hopeing someone could advice me... To sum up, I WAS in the middle of saveing to build my own custom super computer... but my father gave me 1700.00 gift card to circuit city. I told him not to. But in the moment I thought it would be rude to remind him.

Anyways, I went ahead and purchased a HP's q6600 quad core intel Buy the HP Pavilion Elite M9150F Desktop PC and other Desktop computers at circuitcity.com
Buy the HP Pavilion Elite M9150F Desktop PC and other Desktop computers at circuitcity.com

I have already purchased some upgrades.. waiting to recieve a 550W VX corsair PSU, and a 8800GTS G92, Vista 64 premium.

The system actually came with 4gigs, of kingston pc5300 ddr2 (4x 1 gig sticks)(3 gigs in the box, but i had them add one, as a spur of the moment thing)

I am planning on upgrading the RAM-more, to G.Skill 4GB(2x2gb) ddr2 (PC2 8000) Dual Channal. Will it hurt the cpu's performance to keep 2 gigs of the kingston to make a total of 6gigs? I know that right now 1 gig is alocated to the video card. what is your advice. Or do you think the kingston stuff is sufficiant, or to just use the G.skill and none of the kingston in the system?

I know it would help to know the MB manufacturer, but HP is hestiant to tell me, and I got nothing but code numbers/letters on the actual motherboard itself.
Thanks Swann

Hey guys, I was hopeing someone could advice me... To sum up, I WAS in the middle of saveing to build my own custom super computer... but my father gave me 1700.00 gift card to circuit city. I told him not to. But in the moment I thought it would be rude to remind him.

Wow very nice of your father ;)

If your going to go with 6 gigs, then I would try and get the other 2 gigs of the same type of RAM if you could. So basically instead of using 4 gigs of gskill PC2 8000 and throwing another 2 gigs of kingston pc53 in the rig, just run the system with a total of 6 gigs of gskill.

the code is IPI8L-L8 rev 1.01, This is what is etched onto the MB, there is also a barcode with numbers and rev. A02. I dont have the CPU hooked up yet, was going to wait until my new hardware is installed, can I still use CPUIDon my current old CPU to check the MB? or does anyone know.

for right now, because of actual cash that I have, would it be better just to run the 4gigs of Gskill alone,or add the 2gigs of kingston?

If it is locked, is there a way around it? Im not really looking to get crazy into overclocking..dont even know how. Its a control issue though.

I just need to say, the more I look into learning about whats in my HP, the more i get ****ed off. I gratefull that I got the dang thing, it way out performs my old Pent 4, ABIT IS7. I just hate how these prebuilds companies keep you from doing anything. Seems like its really not worth looking into, "unlocking the bios" I dont even think the MB on the HP can be overclocked. My point of retrospect is, If my parents understood me...they would have saved alot of money, and I would have had my qick *** custom build that hopeing make. stupid circuit city gift cards. They wont give me the cash, or credit it to my dads card.

Im almost thinking of gutting the cpu and harddrives out of the thing, and going ahead with a custom build, Since I've already bought a new OS, PSU, RAM, and Graphics card to put into the HP. blah...

Thanks for letting me whine like a spoiled little girl.

dude just use it a little while and put the whole system up on facebook marketplace without upgrading anything, you can sell it for what you paid for it or maybe a little less, then buy what you want.
Your dad probably thinks you might **** **** up or somthing so figured it'd be a better idea if you just got a prebuilt instead of the risk associated with building something. parents don't see overclocking potential they see extended warranty and tech suport LMAO but F that just sell the **** and do your own thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom