His Hd 3870 Iceq3

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirdshiftdj

I feel funny...
I know this has been asked like a kazillion times but I'm on the fence whether I should grab the 3870 iceq3 or an 8800 gt. Benchies tell me to get an 8800 gt. I know the HD 3870's can hit around 850/2500. Where does the 8800 gt come in around? I'm ordering by thursday so I need to make up my mind pretty soon.

The 8800GTs can hit around the 700+/1000 range.

Both are very powerful cards for their price. In my opinion, any one of them you choose, will be able to play any game.

I think the 8800GT is a little ahead in the performance area.

3870:

1.) Quieter than 8800GT. (that iceq cooler is really very impressive, ive got one)
2.) Crossfire > SLi
3.) Its lower performance is proportional to its lower price.

Please tell me, which one of my points:

a. Aren't backed up by benchmarks?
b. Are plain false?
c. Are fanboyistic (< is that a word? lol) in nature?

Also, not once did I badmouth or flame nVidia, or claim that the 8800GT wasnt a good card or would be a good purchase? (which it is a very good card, im considering getting one myself :)).

From what I've seen unless your going for dual cards the 8800gt is better. However if you do get the 3870, HIS is a great choice. I have a Iceq3 cooler and my card overclocks like crazy.

If you can afford the 8800GT then definitely go for it. It's a better card in pretty much every respect. If the cooler is too loud there are quite a lot of aftermarket coolers that you could slap on there.

And tell me, what benefits will we see with 10.1.

If he can afford it, the 8800GT is a significantly faster card, trust me. I have a 3850 that has been clocked to 1ghz and it's quite fast, but the GT is still better.

with whatever card you pick up, you should get an Accelero S1 with a scythe s-flex fan, and it'll keep any card almost as cold as water cooling. i have it on my card (3850) and i can max out the card before it even gets close to overheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom