My Computer Started to take 15 Minutes to Start Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I try to install it, it starts to create a RAID Array. I don't know how to tell it not to do that except for stopping the installation. So "just ignore it." I can't get to the next step because it wants a yes to install or a no, not to install, or cancel.

Would you tell me what the Biostar page says (what would be good for my pc) since you can read it?

I decided to install the driver and bios for Norco.

When I double-clicked on the driver update, nothing happened. I clicked on the zip icon and clicked 'open' and nothing happened.

When I double-clicked on the BIOS update, 4 files opened, 1 is a read me. The read me says:

SiI3132 IDE BIOS v7.2.23

Program Instructions

Contents

RAID, IDE, and motherboard BIOS are contained in the zip file.

rXXXX.bin file is the RAID BIOS

bXXXX.bin file is the IDE BIOS

XXXX.bin file is the motherboard BIOS for OEM use in development. This BIOS is not intended for general end-users. For end-users with a SiI3132 onboard a motherboard, please contact the motherboard manufacturer for a BIOS upgrade.

Programming the SiI3132 IDE BIOS

1. Verify the SiI3132 driver version to be 1.0.0.9. If the driver version precedes 1.0.0.9, download the latest driver from Silicon Image.

a. Right click on “My Computer” and select Manage

b. Select Device Manager from the Computer Management tree

c. Expand the “SCSI and RAID controllers” set of items

d. Right click on the “Silicon Image SiI3132 SATALink Controller” and select Properties from the pop-up menu

e. Select the Drivers tab

f. Find “Driver Version” reported on the tab

2. Ensure that a SATA device is plugged into a 3132 SATA port.

3. Launch the Silicon Image ATA Controllers application from the Windows Control Panel.

4. Click the Flash BIOS tab

5. Click the Browse button and select the b7223.bin file

6. Click the Program Flash button

Note: The firmware download should take less than five minutes to complete.

I could do the above because I don't have “SCSI and RAID controllers”

Instead of saying "I could do the above because I don't have “SCSI and RAID controllers”, I meant to same "I couldn't . . ."

Is there anything else I can try?

The link goes to a page with tabs. All of the tabs are in english except for maybe the manual one... I didn't download it to find out. what info are you looking for?

"IDE BIOS"? That's a new one on me. Same with RAID BIOS. Drivers, yes. I guess their English ain't that great.

I doubt bad drivers screwed the port. Odds are it was a power fluxuation or spike when you fired up the eSATA. If your mobo is under warranty, i would get it RMA'd ASAP. Once something dies on it, for whatever reason, other things follow suit fairly quickly.

You don't need/want a RAID array. I don't know what the IDE BIOS would do, unless it is the IDE drivers for the mobo.

i believe they were jumping around assuming a little bit too much, as can be noted from looking in the control panel at one point then suddenly to:

did you download or do you have their flash utility?

I didn't do anything. That page never came up. It listed a number of updates, but I didn't see any that started with a b, so rather than install the wrong one, I didn't choose any of them.

What I'm trying to do is update my pc, if any new drivers are available and if BIOS has been updated. When I installed Windows a week or two or three ago, I flashed the BIOS.

My computer has had a lot of problems. They could be coincidence or there could be something wrong with the parts. I've been replacing the parts. My hdd seems to be ok so the next part to be replaced will be my mobo since it shows defects.

I've run several batteries of malware tests and they've never come up with anything but a cookie or two, and when I'm in Safe Mode, I uncheck hide hidden files and folders and hide protected operating system files so that they're available to the anti-malware programs.

So I've eliminated malware as the culprit and have moved on to hardware. My mobo was the last on the list because everyone kept telling me that the mobo was fine and I should replace x, y or z, but even though this was my first build, I still had a hunch that it was my mobo all along. It appears, at this point, that it is my mobo but I have to wait a few months to buy a new one because I just bought a new dual core cpu and hsf, and I had to pay the pc repair shop $30.00 to remove the clasp that holds the fan to the heat sink because I can't do it.

I'm looking for the paperwork for the mobo but haven't been able to find it yet. I bought it in May of 06 (I believe) but didn't start to build the pc until Feb 07. So it's 2 years old at this point.

I just downloaded "* SiI 3124 64-bit Windows BASE Driver (VISTA) "

This is what the ReadMe says:

3. Updating the Driver for a SATALink Controller on Windows XP or Windows Server 2003
Follow the instructions in this section to update the driver for a Silicon Image SATALink controller on Windows XP or Windows Server 2003.

-1. Right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Properties'.
Under the 'System Properties' section, click on 'Hardware' tab, and then on 'Device Manager' click 'SCSI and RAID Controllers' RIGHT HERE IS WHERE I HAVE TO STOP. THERE IS NO SCSI OR RAID CONTROLLER. I LOOKED FOR SILICON IMAGE SATA LINK CONTROLLER BUT IT ALSO WASN'T THERE.

and then right click on the Silicon Image SATALink Controller type for which you wish to update the driver for and select 'Properties' from the context menu.

2. Select the 'Driver' tab, and then click the 'Update Driver' button.

3. Select 'Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)' and click 'Next',

4. Make sure 'Search for the best driver in these locations' and 'Search removable media (floppy, CD-ROM...)' are both selected and then click 'Next'.

5. As the installation process begins you may be presented with a dialog warning about a non-logo'd driver, click 'Continue Anyway' to continue the installation.

6. If at the end of the installation process you are prompted to reboot the system click 'Yes'.

"believe they were jumping around assuming a little bit too much, as can be noted from looking in the control panel at one point then suddenly to:

did you download or do you have their flash utility?"

4. What Flash BIOS tab? Where is it located? I search through all of the links and I can't find these things that you've mentioned.

Come on guys . . . you have me all confused here. I never even heard of Norco before it was brought up and I still don't know what it does.

I flashed my BIOS when I formatted a couple of weeks ago. Should I flash it again . . .

Where do I find these things that you mentioned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom