Processor confusion Intel Core 2's

Status
Not open for further replies.
you mention photo/video/audio....get the quad intels

games should be secondary in this equation ;). As the game performance is mainly derived from the gpus and not the cpus. Who cares if you lost a few ticks of fps.

games should be secondary in this equation ;). As the game performance is mainly derived from the gpus and not the cpus. Who cares if you lost a few ticks of fps.

exactly, as long as its playable and not laggy

the Core 2 Duo e6300 and e6400 are technically Allendales because of their 2mb cache

Core 2 Duo Allendales are Core 2 Duos with usually 1mb or 2mb cache, but still are faster and as overclockable as normal Core 2 Duos

Core 2 Duo beats any Pentium D because of its efficient design, even though most Pentium D's have double the clock speed of hte Core 2 Duo's it doesn't matter, check any benchmark if you don't believe me

EDIT: Crap double post.... somebody merge the two posts....

So what you're saying is a game optimized for dual-core wouldn't run exactly the same on a quad-core, except the quad core would be running at 50% capacity instead of 100% capacity as a dual-core would, thereby cooler? Is that what you're saying? lol. And there are games optimized for quad-core, have you heard of CRYSIS? Also, what benchmarks are you looking at?

I guess for those who can't equally compare things themselves, I should add "of equal die size" to my statement. QX9650 > Exxxx. I never said anything about cost effectiveness.

CRYSIS is only dual core optimized... and yeah, equal die size, duo owns..
c_warhammer.png

c_quake4.png

Then you consider the fact you can get a wolfdale for the same price as a conroe and hits 4.1Ghz easy. There's no reason to get a conroe now that the wolfdale is out, it's only going to increase the duo's lead on the quad until the 45nm Q's come out, and even then, duo will still be ahead until quad core games come out, and by that time we will have octo cores and you'll be saying get one of those. Besides, there aren't any quads in his specified price range of under $200. The E8400 is a monster for under $200.

He didn't say how much photo/video/audio he does, but it sounds like it's less than gaming. For what little photo video editing people usually do, who cares about a few extra seconds rendering or encoding. Gaming is where you see the performance. Besides, the duo performs better and COSTS LESS, so you can put the extra money towards a better GPU and really pull away.

CRYSIS is only dual core optimized... and yeah, equal die size, duo owns..
c_warhammer.png

c_quake4.png

Then you consider the fact you can get a wolfdale for the same price as a conroe and hits 4.1Ghz easy. There's no reason to get a conroe now that the wolfdale is out, it's only going to increase the duo's lead on the quad until the 45nm Q's come out, and even then, duo will still be ahead until quad core games come out, and by that time we will have octo cores and you'll be saying get one of those. Besides, there aren't any quads in his specified price range of under $200. The E8400 is a monster for under $200.

He didn't say how much photo/video/audio he does, but it sounds like it's less than gaming. For what little photo video editing people usually do, who cares about a few extra seconds rendering or encoding. Gaming is where you see the performance. Besides, the duo performs better and COSTS LESS, so you can put the extra money towards a better GPU and really pull away.

You're right. I do far less video/photo/audio stuff than gaming. So I'm not too concerned with the performance loss in that category.

I'm looking at the new Core 2 Duo E8400 right now. Within my price range and it looks like the one to get... Looks like the only difference between the E8400 and the E6850 is the L2 cache size and the E8400 is 45nm compared to the 65nm on the E6850. Is this correct?

What core is the new E8400? I don't see it listed on Newegg.

Also, how come the E8400 is cheaper than the E6850? is it because manufacturing costs (45nm opposed to 65)?

You're right. I do far less video/photo/audio stuff than gaming. So I'm not too concerned with the performance loss in that category.

I'm looking at the new Core 2 Duo E8400 right now. Within my price range and it looks like the one to get... Looks like the only difference between the E8400 and the E6850 is the L2 cache size and the E8400 is 45nm compared to the 65nm on the E6850. Is this correct?

What core is the new E8400? I don't see it listed on Newegg.

Also, how come the E8400 is cheaper than the E6850? is it because manufacturing costs (45nm opposed to 65)?

Yeah 45nm die and 2mb larger L2 cache.

It's a core2duo, it's on the egg here Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail but the price is kinda high. It should settle down in a few days or weeks. Some sites were selling for $190-$200 in a lot of places but all those etailers are now sold out. Newegg is charging more and only allowing one per customer to slow the rate of sales, cause they can't meet demand. If you have a micro-center near you, you can get one in store only for $190

I think the 8400 is cheaper cause it's still a 775 core 2 duo and probably borrowed a lot from the 6850 so not as much had to be spent in R&D. When something comes out that's radically different and all new it's usually more expensive. We'll probably see that again with the socket 715 and 1366 procs. I think these 45nm's might be the last for the 775 but we might see some 35nm's, who knows.

woo wo wo.. Your actually considering getting getting the older 65nm instead of 45nm.

The benefits of the new 45nm process are incredible. A whole lot less power requirements. Produces less heat and comes with added features such as a higher clock and L2 cache. Which means you can overclock the heck out of it.

Plus.. its pretty much the same price.
What intel has been doing is introducing new chips at the same price as the older chips so that they can keep upgrading and keep the prices relatively low. So if and when new chips come out with intel, its better to get those instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom