Hard-Drive Lagg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Massacre

Beta member
Hey there

I am running a Barton 2500 with the FSB multiplier at 400 (3200+), 1024 Generic ddr 400 (2x 512 sticks in Dual Channel), 2x 120 gig Seagates (7200 rpm 8meg Cache), Radeon 9800, Gigabyte Ga7n400-L motherboard. When copying files from one harddrive to the other i get a huge amount of system lagg. The process takes 15 minutes for 3 gigs of files, and typing into notepad or messenger laggs and causes the copying to jump up to 145 minutes. It also takes about a minute to get from just past the P.O.S.T to the Windows XP loading screen.

I have just recently reinstalled Windows. When i remove the secondary hard-drive everything runs smoothly and i have tried it without my CD writer plugged in. When i install my nforce2 drivers (origional and latest) i have to untick Hardrive SW, otherwise my system just sits at the Windows XP loading screen, with the loading bar going, and my hard drive work led flashing. My motherboard does not support RAID and only has 2 IDE ports.

All help will be grealty appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Massacre said:

I have just recently reinstalled Windows. When i remove the secondary hard-drive everything runs smoothly and i have tried it without my CD writer plugged in.

Well, if it works with out the secondary HD then there you have it. It could be the IDE cable. Are both on the same cable? Since you have a CD-RW i would assume it is. If thats the case then its possible that your HD is messed up.

Have you tried defragging it? Run Chkdsk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom